Zotero online, server available, library synced but none of my saves reaching library

v5.0.11 Windows (report ID was 'unspecified' when I followed the Zotero process for generating one)

I have switched to Chrome and my recent saves (mostly from Elsevier page abstracts) are not appearing in my library. Previous library from Firefox is still there.

The chrome connector icon (red 'Z') says its online; when I ping the server, it is available; when I click the connector icon, a pop up tells me it is saving; Zotero on the desktop is open.

Yet none of the references I have been working on today have saved into my library.

1. chrome://extensions/
2. Zotero connector is checked 'enabled'
3. under options, 'Zotero is currently unavailable'

Clicking update status has no effect. The library says it is fully synced (when I click the green sync button).

I am on a work laptop remotely and (during setup) did not have sufficient administrator privileges to allow Zotero to update computer files (though I was still allowed to download and setup). Is this perhaps why I cannot update my library? I have put a call in with our (even more remote) IT service desk
  • If you're seeing a red Z, the connector isn't properly connecting to Zotero. But you're saying that loading http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping in Chrome with Zotero open shows the connector server as available?
  • If you have any other Chrome extensions installed (e.g., ad-blocking extensions), try temporarily disabling them and seeing if that helps.
  • Yes that's right (re server available).

There are no other extensions operating except google docs
  • Can you generate a Debug ID from the connector for clicking the Update Status button in the General pane of the connector preferences? (If you can't submit the output, you can click View Output and paste it here.)
  • There is nothing below the line of the debug output and the submit... button is greyed. The first line is
    >PAC file installed from http://uklkxpac01.internal.imsglobal.com/proxy.pac

The next line is the version statement

Then a grey line and nothing underneath
  • That's from Zotero — we're only talking about the connector here.
  • it's like it doesn't recognise I am trying to click the update status or the authorise buttons. I start getting debug messages when I do other actions
  • I have tried a deletion and reinstall of the connector but no change. Could it be something with my firewall/network permissions?
  • See above — we need a Debug ID from the connector, not from Zotero.
  • sorry. I get you. So I enable debug output logging on the advanced filed of the connector. Go back to 'General' and click update status. nothing appears in the debug output logging window. As I said, its like the button click doesn't really happen. The box outline changes blue on the click but there is clearly nothing going on behind it
  • What version of Chrome is this?
  • debug ID is undefined when I try to submit a report
  • Version 60.0.3112.101 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • sorry I'm going to have to go.

Any ideas of anything else to try when next back online?
  • Going into Zotero Connector Preferences and pressing F12 on your keyboard will open Developer Tools. The Console tab might contain errors that could hint to us about what's going on. If the log is very long you can paste it on gist.github.com and post the link here.
  • edited August 17, 2017
    And if you don't see anything in there, you can also try enabling "Show in Console" in the Advanced pane, disabling and reenabling the extension, clicking "Inspect views: background page" for the connector from the Extensions pane, and watching the Console tab there while you click Update Status. (After this is resolved, you should disable "Show in Console" again.)
  • Ok. The console error (when I try to 'update status' in the connector) reads:

preferences.js:110 Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
    at preferences.js:110
    at <anonymous

repeated over and over
  • there's a bit more when I open the arrow

Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
    at preferences.js:110
    at
    (anonymous) @ preferences.js:110
    Promise rejected (async)
    refreshData @ preferences.js:117
    window.setInterval @ preferences.js:77
  • having cleared the console, the number of repeats of this message in the console is up to about 500 now after a couple of minutes
  • Right, something is definitely amiss, but not clear what. Could you follow Dan's instructions above and check the background page log too?
  • Ok. another point before I do that. The very first message that comes up in the connector console is:

Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot convert undefined or null to object
    at Function.keys ()
    at Object. (zotero.js:293)
    at

Before the previously submitted message then starts its continuous loop.

The console tab on the extensions page shows nothing when I try to Update Status. The 'above the line message' is:

[Deprecation] /deep/ combinator is no longer supported in CSS dynamic profile. It is now effectively no-op, acting as if it were a descendant combinator. You should consider to remove it. See https://www.chromestatus.com/features/4964279606312960 for more details.
  • Still not getting us further. Please check the background page log.
  • sorry could you guide me how to do that. The only inspect option I could see from the extensions page was as a right click menu item from 'Options' under Zotero in the list of extensions.
  • edited August 18, 2017
    Inspection of the update status button is as follows

"<"input type="button" value="Update Status"">" ==$0 (last bit greyed out)

not sure that's what you're after...
  • edited August 18, 2017
    1. Navigate to chrome://extensions/?id=aepnpdamngmeljnfcidijebbnaibcaip
    2. Tick "Developer mode" in the top right
    3. Click inspect views: background page for Zotero extension
    4. A window with Developer tools will pop up. Click on the console tab.
  • 2. Tick "Developer mode" in the top right
    (@willsop: Sorry, forgot about that step.)
  • sorry can you pllease remind me how to share long threads with you?
  • email to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread
  • prefs.js:51 Uncaught (in promise) SyntaxError: Unexpected token u in JSON at position 0
    at JSON.parse ()
    at Zotero.Promise.resolve (prefs.js:51)
    at Promise ()
    at prefs.js:50
    at
    zotero.js:199 TypeError: Cannot read property 'getImageSrc' of undefined at chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/background.js:440
    logError @ zotero.js:199
    (anonymous) @ utilities.js:57
    safeCallbackApply @ extensions::uncaught_exception_handler:27
    handleResponse @ extensions::sendRequest:67
    _generated_background_page.html:1 Error in response to tabs.get: TypeError: Cannot read property 'getImageSrc' of undefined
    at _showWebpageIcon (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/background.js:440:26)
    at _updateExtensionUI (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/background.js:355:4)
    at Object.onTabActivated (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/background.js:161:3)
    at Object. (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/background.js:600:29)
    at Object.callback (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/utilities.js:55:14)
    at chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/background.js:598:15
  • (what i was trying to paste earlier was a lot of repeats of this same section) - this is generated when I open connector preferences and try to Update Status while inspecting the background