complex citation (original + translated version)

Hi,

I have a problem that has some partial solutions somewhere, but I would like to know if there is a global answer for it. I need to use a reference both in the original and in the translated versions with the corresponding date and pages.

Like this:

Adorno, T. W. (1949). Philosophie der neuen Musik. Tübingen: J. C. B. Mohr. pp. 201-203; (Italian trans.: Manzoni, G. (2002). Filosofia della musica moderna, Torino: Einuadi., pp. 176-179).

that conceivably appears in the text as

(Adorno, 1949)

is there any chance to do it?
thanks
  • What style are you using?
  • I probably would use APA or (as a second choice) Chicago...
  • Okay, the correct APA style for such a reference is:

Adorno, T. W. (2002) Filosofia della musica moderna [Philosophie der neuen Musik] (C. Manzoni, Trans.) Torino: Einuad. (Original work published 1949)

(For whole books like this, you would enter the page numbers in the in text citations, but not in the bibliography. You would only need to include the page numbers of the book you actually consulted [the translation]).

To cite this format, enter the item data for the translated version (i.e., the Italian title, the Italian publisher, the translation year). Enter Adorno as the author and Manzoni as the translator. Then enter the original title and original date in Extra like this:

original-date: 1949
    medium: Philosophie der neuen Musik
  • yes. thanks.

you are right. I wonder, if it could be important to report the original editor, since I mention the original date. (I know that in principle it does not make sense, since I consulted the translated version).

• You could add the editor, Zotero will add it. But editors of single-Author books are rarely cited in the first place.
  • you mean the original publisher? Typically not, no. Chicago Manual gives you more liberty here and would probably allow that, but only in cases where the original publisher is actually important for what you study.
  • yes, i understand.
    Thanks for you help.
  • Hi,
    I have just another question, using APA style.
    I'd like to ask you if these cases sound good for you

CASE #1: when the source is mentioned as generic reference which you are not obliged to have consulted, for instance: "Series of works have studied... (Adorno, 1949)"
    [in bibliography would appear just the original version like]:
    Adorno, T. W. (1949) Philosophie der neuen Musik. Tübingen: J. C. B. Mohr.

CASE #2 : when the source is precisely mentioned in the manuscript as, for instance: "Adorno claims that... (Adorno, 1949/2002)"
    [in bibliography would appear original and consulted, like]:
    Adorno, T. W. (2002) Filosofia della musica moderna [Philosophie der neuen Musik] (C. Manzoni, Trans.) Torino: Einaudi. (Original work published 1949)

CASE #3: when the source is cited (with pages) such: "........" (Adorno, 2002, pp. 176-179).
    [in bibliography would appear original and consulted like CASE#2].

are these cases correct?

I ask, because I found somewhere cases where the translated version is mentioned just with its title, like this:
    Adorno, T. W. (1949) Philosophie der neuen Musik [Filosofia della musica moderna] Tübingen: J. C. B. Mohr.

(it sounds weird to me)
    thanks
  • If you read the translated version, I would always cite that. I would strongly recommend never citing a source you haven’t actually consulted yourself. There are a lot of persistent myths and misperceptions in psychology (particularly regarding methods) that stem from people just relying on citations made by others and not carefully evaluating the claims themselves.

Page numbers should always refer to the specific version you cite and read. If you read the translated version, cite the page numbers from that version.