Error Report ID : 1139674803 - [Word crash when adding new ref]

Dear Zotero team,

Since the last update (5.0 / stand alone) Microsoft word keeps crashing any time I try to add a new citation. It does not happen all the time but very often (like 80%).

Most chance to happen when the document is heavy, with a lot of references, but not all the time. Is it only a ressource problem ? Or is there a solution to fix it without partioning excessively my work ?

Sorry I know the problem is not Crystal clear, but if it was I could probably fix it myself...

Thank you in advance for your answer

Gui
  • One more info : it happens since the update... When i was using the Firefox module it was (sometimes) long but at least it has never crashed [:
  • And "crash" here actually means it closes down or it freezes? If the former, does it do so with any error message?
  • edited August 16, 2017
    It means : freezing, then closing, then starting again after an attempt (always succesful) to retrieve the document. No message displayed. I found the same document with a blanck footnote, I have to delete it and start again. Zotero stays open, I only have to close the adding citation tab.
  • To be honest it looks like a lack of ressources's problem, making Zotero freezing/saturating, but it has never been a problem before and my configuration is the same, the only new thing is the stand alone zotero 5.0
  • It has happened again, but this time I was able to copy the report from Zotero. I hope this can help to clarify the problem and solve it.

[JavaScript Error: "Échec de l'appel de procédure distante.
    [getNoteIndex:field.cpp]"]

[JavaScript Error: "Le serveur RPC n'est pas disponible.
    [cleanup:document.cpp]"]

1502908857410 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org did not contain an updates property

1502908857504 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org did not contain an updates property

[JavaScript Error: "NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE: Component returned failure code: 0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE) [nsIXPCComponents_Utils.import]" {file: "resource://services-common/kinto-http-client.js" line: 61}]

version => 5.0.11, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => fr-FR, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.11, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.6.SA.5.0.11, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.2.SA.5.0.11, extension), Shockwave Flash (26.0.0.131, plugin, disabled)
  • This just says that Zotero has lost the connection to Word. Do note, that Windows updates Word automatically, so the upgrade to Zotero might be coincidental. Otherwise, since you think this is a resource problem, if you run Task Manager when attempting to insert a citation, do you see your memory usage go up until Word crashes?
  • edited August 17, 2017
    Hello,

I run Task manager during my last crash... but it does not seem to be the explanation : 70% of the RAM and 24% of the CPU at full...

So I really don't know what to do. I have seen other topics saying that such bug would likely not occur in a new document... But in my case it does. Still with an higher chance as the file becomes bigger, but even with files created after the setup of the 5.0 stand alone and sometimes even with small documents (~10 pages, ~20 ref)

Does anyone have any clue ? I really need zotero right now (like always but now in particular [; )

TYIA
  • What version of Word are you running? I know I said Windows might update automatically, but just to be sure, does Office have any updates from Microsoft that you can install?

Otherwise, could you produce two separate Debug IDs for such a crash? If this happens at the same place when updating the document, it would indicate a potential issue with Zotero or citations within the document. If it happens randomly, then it is likely an issue originating in word.

You can also send in the smallest snippet of text that you manage to produce a crash on to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread so we can inspect it better.
  • edited August 17, 2017
    Ok, thank you.

I use : Word Microsoft Office 2013. Version 15.0.4927.1002 - I ran an update, and now : 15.0.4953.1001

But the bug still occurs (it happens randomly, not always the same place, neither the same document).

My journal of errors last entry is :

I made a Debug ID during the last crash and submitted it. Debug ID is D931034657 ; did you receive it ? I don't find a save of the text to send it by email.

I hope you can figure out a possible solution.

Regards,

Gui
  • edited August 18, 2017
    Ok, so this is not a fix, but we can try and see if the integration still works with the old files, which might help us at pin-pointing what's causing this. Follow these instructions carefully:

1. Open zotero installation folder (default C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero)
    2. Navigate to extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org
    3. Download this zip file
    4. Remove the contents of the folder you had opened and replace them with the contents from the zip (you will need to navigate to zotero-word-for-windows-integration-old-files-test within the zip file).

Start Zotero and see if you still get the crashing. If you don't, you can carry on working, but this is a temporary solution and the crashing will come back once we update the word component of Zotero, so please stick around and help us troubleshoot this.
  • Hello,

I followed your instructions. Thanks a lot for your time.

One question : I have copied and pasted the files, then I've started Zotero. An automatic update ran at this point. Should I copy and paste the downloaded files once again ? Or is it ok ? [question goes for any further new update I guess]

Anyway I keep in touch and I will tell you if the crash still happens in the next hours or days.
  • It shouldn't be necessary, but just to make sure, you should replace the files upon updates. Do report if you don't experience crashing after spending some time working with the plugin and we'll try a version closer to the one we currently have, to see when the problem was introduced.
  • Hello. To keep you update, I did not experience any new crash since I applied your corrective/patch2 days ago.

2 observations so far :
    - it is still very slow to add a reference, but I switched to the "classical adding tab" (not sure of the english term, the "non-dynamic" one), then it is ok.
    - automatic update of zotero always fail and I have to do it manually.

Thank you again for your help. At least I can continue my work with the current solution. Let me know if I should do anything else or report you anything that can help you for the development.
  • it is still very slow to add a reference, but I switched to the "classical adding tab" (not sure of the english term, the "non-dynamic" one), then it is ok.
    The patch wouldn't have any impact on the speed of adding references, neither should the classic citation dialogue. The differences you are seeing are likely coincidental.

Ok, let's try this version now. Same request - install by replacing files and report if you start getting crashes. If you do, you can revert to the old version.
  • edited August 21, 2017
    Hello

I will do it. But are you sure that you did not invert the two links in your message ? The one that you are referring as "this version now" has the same name and url than the previous one, while the "old version" seems new.

Maybe you have actually updated the files on your github server, but just in case...

Gui
  • Yep, the URLs are correct.
  • Ok, thank you (:

P.S. : About the effect of the switch from new to classic citation dialogue, I think that what makes the difference, is the fact that the new one always try to charge the "already quoted reference" in the current document. But indeed that just a matter of ressource, which has nothing to do with the bug.
  • edited September 7, 2017
    Dear Helper,

An update after two weeks of use. I have experienced the same bug with the latest version that you provided. It was rarer but still happening. After one week I switched back to the previous version, and since then, it is ok.

Regards
  • Seesm that there has been an update from Microsoft regarding extension killing on 5th of September. Could you update to the latest version of Word, reinstall this version of the extension (as per previous instructions) and see if you still get the crashes?
  • Hello

i can't install this update. I have tried the manual way since the automatic update was not available.... and I have this error message : no software is affected by this update on your system.

For the record, each time zotero automatically update (like today) the bug comes back and I have to copy and paste your first zipped files.
  • What version of Word 2013 are you currently on?
  • How many citations and how many words do you have in the affected document?
  • edited September 21, 2017
    In the latest document where such crash has occured after the last update of Zotero (before I have copied and pasted your files) : 67000 words - 270 footnotes (circa half of them are zotero citations).
  • Ok I managed to reproduce the issue and fix it on my machine. We've deployed the fix on the beta channel of Zotero. Could you install the beta version and report if you still get the crashing?
  • Word keeps crashing with the latest version of Zotero too!
  • @oleander71 The beta version or the release version?
  • the release version, I think.
  • Try the beta version that adomasven linked to above.
  • @bwiernik I'll try that, thanks!