Migrating Endnote 6 library to Zotero 5

Dear Community,

I'm importing my Endnote library from version 6, but when I go to import from the .txt file I exported, I receive an error message that the file type is not supported. The current documentation for exporting to Zotero 5 indicates that .txt is an acceptable format (besides RIS). Please advise.

Richard
  • What matters are the contents of the .txt file -- .txt is just a any file with just text in it. Open it (with a text editor like Notepad or TextEdit) and copy the first ~20 lines and paste them here.
  • Thanks for your help, adamsmith. This is all the file contains:

The Word of God Concerning Idolatry. 2nd ed. [Allahabad: s.n.

Richard
  • Well, that won't do. Zotero needs something more structured.
    See if you can find a way to export this as RIS from Endnote (which documentation are you referencing above, btw.?)
  • Thanks, adamsmith. I will explore exporting as RIS. I'm referencing https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/importing_records_from_endnote

Richard
  • That says this: Select “Text File (*.txt)” in the “Save as type” dropbox. Select “RefMan (RIS) Export” in the “Output style” dropbox.

The second part is crucial.
  • Thanks, adamsmith. I will re-install “RefMan (RIS) Export” and try again.

Richard
  • adamsmith, thanks very much for your help today. The export worked as hoped after Richard and I selected all from within the library we wanted to export, after re-installing RefMan and restarting Endnote.

Patrick