Word 2016 for Macbook

I cannot get my Zotero account to synch with my Word 2016 to be able to cite references directly in my paper. I have tried reinstalling from the Preferences/Cite/Reinstall tab and nothing is showing up. Any suggestions?
  • Thanks. I already followed those steps. The file shows in the windows startup when I open it. When I restart windows, no connection to Zotero.
  • Sorry, that should have read Word start up.
  • I'm not entirely sure what you are describing. I assume Zotero Preferences -> Cite say that the addon is installed. Do you see the Zotero tab in Word or not at all? If you do, does clicking buttons produce an error?
  • There are no tabs showing in word at all for Zotero.

I was referring to this part of the installation instructions: Copy the Zotero.dotm file to your Word Startup folder. I had done this already Manually. The file shows in the folder. When I restart, there is still no interface between Zotero and Word.
  • Right. Could you:

1. Go into Word Preferences -> Ribbon & Toolbar
    2. Enable the Developer Tab and click Save
    3. In the newly appeared Developer tab click Macros
    4. Confirm whether the list of macros contains Zotero entries and whether ZoteroAddEditCitation produces a Zotero citation dialog?
  • In the Developer Tab under macros there is no Zotero entry. The macros list is blank
  • If you click Word Add-ins is Zotero.dotm listed? If not, try adding it using that dialogue.
  • Could you also submit a Debug ID for clicking the Reinstall button for Word plugin in Zotero Preferences -> Cite -> Word Processor Plugins?
  • D1254820215

It is not listed in Word Add-ins.
  • Just reinstalled Windows and Zotero on my MacBook and still not connection
  • The Debug ID says that you are on a Mac and does not include the button press. You need to enable debug logging, press the install button and submit the log.

Do you run Windows or macOS? Which one is Zotero not working on properly?
  • D602872025

I am running macOS
  • You'll need to follow these instructions carefully. If you get stuck at any one step or something unexpected happens - do report.

1. Go to ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word (you can press Cmd-Shift-G to open the path dialog)
    2. Remove Zotero.dot and Zotero.dotm in the directory if present
    3. Open Word with a blank document. Go to Developer -> Word Add-ins. If Zotero.dotm (or Zotero.dot) entry is present, click on it and press the "-" at the bottom of the list, until the list is empty.
    4. Close Word.
    5. Put Zotero.dotm (how to find it described here) into ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word
    6. Start Word, confirm whether Zotero tab is present, and/or whether Zotero entry is present under Developer -> Word Add-ins.
  • I went through all of your steps above. Got to the point of checking for Zotero.dotm in Add-ins under the Developer Tab, and it was blank. Nothing listed there. Also, no Zotero tab is present.
  • Could you confirm whether your Word startup directory is set to a non-default location?
  • Not sure how to accomplish that.
  • adomasven linked to instructions.
  • It seems to be set to my desktop
  • Umm.. Well that is the problem. I am not sure why you would want the startup directory to be your desktop, but if you do, you can just place Zotero.dotm there too. Otherwise, you can just reset the directory to the default one -- ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word
  • I did not set this up. It is what showed up when I looked for the directory from your directions above.
  • You probably want to reset your startup path to the default one. Setting it to your desktop could lead to a lot of different unexpected behaviors for Word.