Zotero 5 and transporting Library between standalone copies of Zotero on two different machines.

This is a continuation of a previous thread so I thought it might be best to start a new one. My issues are these:

a) Am I able to download standalone Zotero 5 without interfering with my existing Library?

b) I operate two machines in different locations, each with a copy of standalone Zotero. Anything involving the web and reverting to Firefox means complications. So how can I transport my Library between two different machines on a USB device, ensuring that this doesn't lose formatting for my collections and subcollections?

Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.
  • a) Depends on what you mean by "interfering" -- Zotero 5 does update your library, so it does "interfere" in the strict sense, but it works stably, so it won't interfere with your ability to use Zotero.

b) Option A here, yes: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/transferring_a_library though you using sync as bwiernik suggests in the main thread is going to be a lot more convenient, so do consider if whatever complications using the web entails may not be worth it.
  • Thanks for this.

a) If I simply download Zotero 5, will this change any of the collections of subcollections in my Library?

b) my previous experience of using a USB to transfer my Library between machines is that the collection and subcollection structure has disappeared on the second machine. I'm afraid that the guidance isn't clear on this.
  • a) you'd have to say exactly what you have in mind and what you're concerned about. "Simply downloading" Zotero 5 doesn't do anything at all. Installing it updates your database. It doesn't affect your collections.

b) Copying the database does not affect collections at all. It's a 1:1 copy. Since it doesn't look like you reported the issue last time, no way of telling what happened back then.