Local storage

I'm wondering why Zotero also stores the attachments (in my case mainly pdf's) localy. On each computer where I install and use Zotero on the whole content of the data directory is copied on (2 GB). To avoid this I can probably use a network destination as data directory, but what is then the purpose of storing it in the cloud? The main reason why I asking this is that my profile is getting too large. This gives me all kind of issues with our ICT department :-)
  • In Zotero 5, You can change the file sync settings to download files “As Needed”.
  • Hi Bwiernik,
    Thanks for your quick reply. Do I switch both options in the file syncing to "as needed" ? Can I delete all stored data from my c-disk?
  • 1) Yes.

2) If you’re sure that you have them all synced to the cloud or on another computer, then yes.
  • edited August 15, 2017
    Would there be sufficient demand for a sync setting to automatically delete attachments once they're uploaded/synced? That might be useful for people who (occasionally) work from a space-constrained device.
  • @Rintze: I don't think we'd do that, but we have an issue for more options in this area.
  • I believe @dstillman had mentioned some time that he is okay in principle with an option to make individual attachments available online only through the context menu or similar.