Zotero not saving to library

Since Zotero update to 5.0 I have not been able to save citations to my Zotero library .I use Chrome and scholar to find academic references .What am I doing wrong ?my ref ID is 809738566
  • What's a URL you're trying to save from? What exactly happens when you try?
  • I am doing research and need to find academic references/ Articles plus books to. Make up a bibliography . I can find the references using google scholar although There is no image to indicate nature of found item e.g. Book . When I then try to save message says ' saving .... ' but it doesn't save as before to. My Zotero library so I can't cite or add to my references .
    Brian
  • We need an example URL you're trying to save.
  • I have tried various URL including NW Times as well as academic references google Scholar .No longer do I see the small images to indicate whether a book, article etc . Then when I try to save using Zotero message in box says ' saving ....: but it doesn't save,as before , to my Zotero library and I cant therfore cite in my word doc or add to my list of references in the document I am working on
  • We need exact URLs with all translator problem reports before we can do any further debugging. Copy and paste the URL you see in your address bar.
  • And a Debug ID from the Chrome connector for the save attempt would also be helpful.
  • this is the most recent URL which i tried to save;
    http://www.who.int/publications/almaata_declaration_en.pdf
    debug number was D 1601701194
  • OK, so that's a PDF. You should see a PDF icon in the Chrome toolbar, it should say "Save to Zotero (PDF)" when you hover over it, and it should save directly to Zotero as a PDF. Are any of those things happening for you?

That Debug ID is from Zotero. We need it from the Chrome connector for the save attempt.
  • hi - no, there's no sign of that message in the chrome tool bar- or any icon about a pdf . i dont know how to get debug ID from chrome
  • There are instructions on the page I linked to:

https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#zotero_connectors_firefox_chrome_and_safari
    no, there's no sign of that message in the chrome tool bar- or any icon about a pdf
    I'm referring to the main Zotero Connector save icon that you're clicking. What do you see instead when you're on that URL, and what does it say when you hover over it?
  • there's nothing there when i hover over the red z
  • If it's a red Z, something's broken. Can you provide the Debug ID?
  • DE BUG ID is D 1945425531
  • IT'S LATE HERE NOW SO I'LL PICK UP TOMORROW
    THANKS
  • That's still from Zotero, not from the Chrome connector.
  • If I click on the .PDF link, Firefox will download the PDF, but the webpage is completely blank and the Zotero Z is red. But I think that's fine since the link is to a direct PDF file, and there's nothing for Zotero connector to "sense". No?
  • (@gurdas -- that depends on your Firefox PDF settings. By default, Firefox opens the PDF in a tab and you can then click the "Save to Zotero" button. You've likely changed those settings, either on purpose or inadvertently)
  • Ah, Yes, I changed that couple years ago (and prefer it that way, still).