Problem with apostrophes in suffixes

Hello,

I recently noticed a problem when using Zotero with MS Word 2011 on Mac (all fully updated).

If I put two apostrophes (i.e. quotation marks) in the suffix field of a footnote, and put anything after the final quotation mark, the first quotation mark is facing the wrong direction. This happens for articles, book chapters, monographs, etc.

See for example:
http://imgur.com/a/xn71N

Any ideas?
  • First, i think you should generally store those page numbers in the Page field, rather than prefix, no?

@fbennett I think this is a citeproc issue?
  • I don't do that in most cases because:

1) I want to have short references when I don't have more than one work by the same author.
    2) Sometime I want to include comment in parentheses after each page number.
    3) Zotero in MHRA for whatever reason doesn't deal with volume numbers well in individual references (should be in small caps).
    4) If I have a reference and I want to include a quote from it in my note I include it afterwards, and can't do that if it's in the page number field (e.g. Robbins, 'Essay', p. 12: 'I make this argument').
  • I don’t follow (3).

The rest sound reasonable. This looks like a bug in the citation processor.
  • If I need to designate a volume I choose 'Volume' from the button where 'Page' normally is when I make a footnote. However, it simply notes 'vols' and gives the number in an Arabic numeral (as in note no. 1 in the screenshot). In MHRA the volume number should be a small capital and the page numbers should follow after a comma without 'pp.' (as in note no. 2 in the screenshot).

The only way around this I've found is either a) to make separate entries for each volume of the work (which is a nightmare), or b) to enter each reference manually in the suffix field. However, this requires me to constantly copy paste in the ' ' code. It'd be ideal if there was a way to have whatever number was before a comma in the Volume field be a small capital (or capitals if in a span), and anything after the comma in normal Arabic numerals.

Does that make sense?

http://imgur.com/a/v1whI
  • edited August 13, 2017
    a) to make separate entries for each volume of the work (which is a nightmare)
    yes, that's how this is intended in the style. Since you can't enter both a volume and a page number through the word processor add-on anyway, getting the volume in small caps would be of little help.
  • Okay, fair enough. It's not that big of a deal to enter it in the suffix. But it'd still need the apostrophes to display properly in the suffix field.