Multi-monitor setup and tag context menu placement [Zotero 5.0.10]

edited August 12, 2017
When using two monitors like this:

[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]

on Windows 10 (a laptop on the bottom and an extra screen on top, vertical placement), right click on tag always results in a context menu appearing on the primary (1) monitor, and it looks like its x coordinate is respected, whereas y is fixed on the upper edge of screen (1), when the program itself is on screen (2).

This bug only persists when the monitors are set vertically, for the following horizontal configuration

[ 1 ][ 2 ]

context menu works as expected.

Latest stable Zotero 4 didn't have this issue.
  • edited August 20, 2017
    On OS X Sierra and Zotero 5.0.13 the problem is similar, but a bit more complicated.

Assuming Zotero is on the primary screen ([ 1 ]):

1.1 if the primary screen is below:
    [ 2 ]
    [ 1 ]
    The context menu works as intended

1.2 if the primary screen is above
    [ 1 ]
    [ 2 ]
    The context menu works near the top of the screen, broken near the bottom.

1.3 if the primary screen is on the right
    [ 2 ][ 1 ]
    The context menu works as intended.

1.4 if the primary screen is on the left
    [ 1 ][ 2 ]
    The context menu works on the left half of the screen; broken on the right half.

In other words: the problem happens near the edge where the second screen is.

It works the same way if Zotero is on the secondary screen.

My screens have different resolutions.
    On the smaller one (1440:900) the changing point when the errant behaviour begins seems to be almost exactly in the middle.
    On the larger one (2560:1440), it seems to be 25% from the edge of the screen
  • edited October 30, 2017
    I have this issue on a Mac too, with vertically stacked monitors (my MacBook Air with a monitor above it).

I spent ages trying to work out why right-click wouldn't anything, I even rebooted - it was only when I had closed Mail from my MacBook screen that I realised the context menu was appearing there instead!

I'm using Zotero 5.0.23
  • Aah this explains some of the oddities I've been experiencing too!
    +1 — and kudos to andselisk and hypnostene for diagnosing the problem in detail.
  • This is still an issue in Zotero 5.0.45 on Windows 10. I have a 3 monitor setup like this
    [1] [2] [3]
    where screen 3 is pivoted by 90 degrees.

The right click works fine when Zotero is on screens 1 and 3, but when Zotero is on screen 2 (my main screen) the context menu appears on screen 3. Its the same behaviour described 3 posts above. When I click on the left half of screen 2 it works, but on the right half it appears on the neighbouring screen. Very odd!

Any chances this will get fixed, or where can I submit a bug report?
  • Yeah, I can reproduce this on macOS if I set a second monitor below the primary. In that vertical arrangement, it starts to happen with clicks below a certain point on the screen. Issue created. We'll see what we can do.
  • I still have this issue, on my set up described below:

- screens composition:
    [ 2 ]
    [ 1 ]

where:
    [ 2 ] (secondary screen, 24" Full hd resolution)
    [ 1 ] (primary screen (laptop), 16", 4k resolution)
    and Zotero is opened on the screen [ 2 ]

- system: Windows 10
    - Zotero version: 6.0.36