SyntaxError: illegal character

I just installed Zotero with Windows 10. When starting Zotero, the error message appears. Any idea to solve this issue?
  • Could you either copy and paste the full text or, if that's not possible, take a screenshot of the error, upload it somewhere (Dropbox, imgur, etc.), and provide a link here?
  • Hi, I have the same problem as chiuluk. I have just updated my old Zotero to the latest version. Unfortunately, I got the same error message when the new Zotero is restarted. So I can't do anything now with Zotero as it requires me to check update but this is already the newest version!!!! Please see the attached link for a screenshot. And please help!!!! Thanks! https://www.dropbox.com/s/7hqo90qmdj0asvf/Zotero error page.jpg?dl=0
  • Are you able to provide a Debug ID for Zotero startup? If that doesn't work, see the Error Console section at the bottom.
  • I tried to find the Debug ID or Error Console following the instructions on the link you provided, but I still got the same error message, no such information pupped up as you requested.
  • You're sure you tried the -jsconsole flag? That should really cause the Error Console to pop up before anything else happens (even before the Zotero window loads).
  • Timestamp: 21/08/2017 12:01:38
    Warning: unreachable code after return statement
    Source File: resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://zotero/bluebird/util.js
    Line: 201, Column: 4
    Source Code:
    eval(obj);
  • Timestamp: 21/08/2017 12:01:40
    Error: illegal character
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/dataDirectory.js
    Line: 406
    Source Code:
  • Timestamp: 21/08/2017 12:02:18
    Error: NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getIntPref]
    Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/findbar.xml
    Line: 376
  • The above is the error info I got from jsconsole.
  • What version is this? Are you sure you have 5.0.16?
  • Also, do you have your Zotero data directory in the normal location, or have you moved it elsewhere?
  • I installed Zotero in early 2016 and did not update much until Aug 2017. So I just updated it a few days ago to the latest version and then came the problem I presented here. I did not move the data directory before the update.
  • We don't normally recommend this, but have you tried simply uninstalling Zotero and then reinstalling it? Uninstalling won't affect your data (as long as you don't check the checkbox to delete your data).
  • I have just tried uninstalled Zotero, downloaded the latest version on this website and reinstalled it twice,using both the default setting up option and personalised option. I had also rebooted my laptop (Win 10 system) but the same error persisted. OMG, it's really frustrating.
  • Can you provide the startup errors again in the latest version?

Does your Windows username include extended characters?
  • Could not read 'file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero/extensions/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroIntegration.xpt'.
  • Timestamp: 23/08/2017 20:06:32
    Source File: resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://zotero/bluebird/util.js
    Source Code:
    eval(obj);
  • Timestamp: 23/08/2017 20:06:32
    Source Code:
    eval(obj);
  • Timestamp: 23/08/2017 20:06:33
    Error: illegal character
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/dataDirectory.js
    Line: 406
    Source Code:
  • 1503490021666 addons.xpi WARN Add-on autozotbib@rtwilson.com is not compatible with application version.
  • Timestamp: 23/08/2017 20:07:07
    Error: NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getIntPref]
    Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/findbar.xml
    Line: 376
  • my windows username only contains two english characters
  • edited yesterday at 12:40pm
    Could you email the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\zotero.jar to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread? (This is part of the application and doesn't contain any of your data.)
  • My email can't get through. Here is the message I got from the email service:

This is the mail system at host zotero.org.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

(expanded from ): host
    gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.29.27] said: 552-5.7.0 This message was
    blocked because its content presents a potential 552-5.7.0 security issue.
    Please visit 552-5.7.0 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BlockedMessage
    to review our 552 5.7.0 message content and attachment content guidelines.
    c1si1479935qkd.147 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA command)

(expanded from ): host
    aspmx.l.google.com[209.85.201.26] said: 552-5.7.0 This message was blocked
    because its content presents a potential 552-5.7.0 security issue. Please
    visit 552-5.7.0 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BlockedMessage to
    review our 552 5.7.0 message content and attachment content guidelines.
    r129si1448309qkb.418 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA command)

• I have instead uploaded the jar file on Google drive and shared with the email you provided. Please check.