Database upgrade error moving to Stanalone 5.0 on a new laptop

Hello,
I am a long time Zotero Firefox user. On going to install Zotero on a new laptop I had no choice but to move to Standalone 5.0. So, I installed 5.0 on the new laptop and copied my zotero folder (with sqlite files plus storage folder) to the new laptop. I then ran Stanalone 5.0 app and was asked to set a storage folder for which I selected the zotero folder I had copied over. I quit the application as requested and reran it. It began to upgrade the database (showed a progress bar) but after a few seconds failed with the following error:

Database upgrade error

Error: Error(s) encountered during statement execution: database disk image is malformed [QUERY: INSERT OR IGNORE INTO fulltextItemWords SELECT * FROM fulltextItemWordsOld] [PARAMS: ] [ERROR: database disk image is malformed]
Zotero.DBConnection.prototype.queryAsync<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js:703:10
From previous event:
TaskImpl_handleResultValue@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:396:7
TaskImpl_run@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:327:15
TaskImpl@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:277:3
createAsyncFunction/asyncFunction@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:252:14
Task_spawn@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:166:12
ConnectionData.prototype<.executeTransaction/promise</transactionPromise<@resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:593:28
TaskImpl_run@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:319:42

Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? Is the copy of the database corrupted?

Thanks for help resolving this.
  • edited August 11, 2017
    I then ran Stanalone 5.0 app and was asked to set a storage folder
    What was the message? If you just installed Zotero on a new laptop, it shouldn't prompt for anything — it should just create a new data directory. Do you mean that you went to the Advanced preferences and selected a custom location?
    Is the copy of the database corrupted?
    It looks that way. You can try running your database through the DB Repair Tool.
  • Thanks for the prompt response.

I ran the database through the DB Repair Tool and Zotero was then able to perform the database upgrade. A quick check indicates everything seems to be in order - my most recent additions are there and selecting several random entries open the pdfs successfully.

What I don't understand is why the database was corrupted. It works fine on my old laptop using Zotero Firefox. I haven't tried upgrading my old laptop to Zotero Standalone so it will be interesting to see if how that works out.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

• Does it pass the DB integrity check in the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences on the old computer?