saving citations into specific collections stopped working

Hi,

I have suddenly developed a problem with saving citations in Zotero and I wonder if you could help me.

Until yesterday if I highlighted a folder/collection in Zotero my search results would go into that particular folder (from PubMed or a ProQuest database). Now, no matter what I do, everything goes into the larger "My Library" folder and I have to manually move everything into the folder I want them in.

I upgraded to 5.0 yesterday. Could that be what caused my problem?

Thanks,
Paul
  • When you select a collection in Zotero and then click the save button in the browser, what does it say in the popup? Does it say it's saving to the collection or to My Library?

Can you provide a Report ID from Zotero via Help -> "Report Errors…"?
  • It says it is saving to "My Library" even though I have selected a specific collection.

I have my Zotero account synced to both my Mac Laptop and my PC desktop computer. I just tried it on my Mac laptop and it is working fine (saving to the highlighted collection) but on my PC desktop machine it seems to be stuck going to My Library.

Thank you for helping.
  • Can you provide a Report ID from Zotero via Help -> "Report Errors…"?
  • And this still happens after you restart Zotero?

If so, could I see a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) from Zotero for a save that goes to My Library when a collection is selected?

Also, to be clear, you're selecting a normal collection, not a special collection (Unfiled, My Publications, etc.), right?
  • D670106364

And yes, it is not a special collection, just a regular folder I created. Actually I tried to add things to several different folders (just to make sure it wasn't something to do with one particular folder) but it always goes to My Library.

I bet it is me doing something silly, I just can't figure out what that is.

Thanks for your speedy assistance.
  • edited August 10, 2017
    Oh, wait, does it say that it's saving to My Library, or does it say that it's saving to zotero.org? That debug output seems to show the item coming in via syncing (which is immediate in 5.0), not from the connector. And saving to zotero.org will always save to My Library.

Make sure the connector shows Zotero as online: https://zotero.org/support/kb/connector_zotero_unavailable
  • It says it is saving to My Library.

I just tested http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping and I get the message "Zotero Connector Server is Available"
  • Also make sure it says that Zotero is available in the connector preferences.

But try restarting both your browser and Zotero. If that was debug output during the save attempt, it was saving to zotero.org, not to Zotero.

If you're still having trouble after that, could we see a Debug ID for the save from the connector?
  • I think you have figured it out!

I am able to correct the problem in Chrome, but not in firefox. The directions about Zotero Connectors from here - https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output - doesn't seem to jive with what I see for FireFox.

anyway, it works perfectly in Chrome now!