No "Z" on my toolbar in Zotero 5.0

• I just downloaded Zotero 5.0 and the translator connector and there is no "Z" on my toolbar. I can not access my library unless I am logged into Zotero and then I get the full page for everything. There is an icon on the toolbar looking like a blue page and if I click it, it says
    "The Zotero Connector was unable to communicate with the Zotero desktop application. The Connector can save some pages directly to your zotero.org account, but for best results you should make sure Zotero is open before attempting to save."

But I have no Z on the toolbar to open. Please help!
  • https://www.zotero.org/blog/a-unified-zotero-experience/

In 5.0 you access your data through the standalone app.
  • I do not understand how to "access through standalone app". How do I see my library on my screen? I used to just click the Z and my half-screen appeared with everything. I have gone through a whole lot of pages in the Quick Start guide and I can not figure it out.
  • ok. I got it. It is on my desktop and I needed to put it in the taskbar. My question now is, will new things I put in Zotero via my desktop still appear on my laptop? I do not have my laptop with me and I did not install 5.0 and the translator connector on it yet. Thanks so much!
  • Addendum: I have 4.0 installed on my laptop.
  • Yes, 4.0 and 5.0 will sync.
  • Thank you so much! Your timeliness is greatly appreciated!
  • I have this same issue. How did you "put it in the taskbar"?
  • After you run Zotero (or any other software) on Word you can right-click the program's icon at the bottom and select "Pin to Taskbar" -- but I think the main issue is really to understand this first part: Zotero does no longer run in your browser alone. You need to download and install Zotero Standalone, which runs as separate software.
  • I see, so you can no longer pull up the split-screen or have your library as a tab? I thought this was only true of Chrome, and not firefox? What's strange is that it still works on all my computers, which have the most updated version of Firefox. The computer it's not working on is brand new.
  • that's correct. Your other computers wouldn't have automatically updated to Zotero 5 yet, but it's what new downloads/installs default to.
    Details here: https://www.zotero.org/blog/a-unified-zotero-experience/
This discussion has been closed.