When I try to add a reference to my Zotero library I get this message:

"The Zotero Connector was unable to communicate with the Zotero desktop application."

I went to troubleshooter and then to http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping as suggested. I got the message "Endpoint does not support method," which the troubleshoot page says is what my browser might display "in older versions." The rest of the info provided is about what to do if I cannot reach this page. Since I did reach this page, what should I do now? (I'm using standalone with chrome.)
  • edited August 7, 2017
    First make sure you're running version 5.0.14 of the Chrome Connector — there were some problems with 5.0.13.
  • I am also having this problem as of a few hours ago. I am using connector v5.0.14 and standalone v4.0.29.15
  • edited August 8, 2017
    Yeah, sorry about that. This was broken in 5.0.14 too — it was happening when the connector was used with 4.0 (not 5.0). This is fixed in version 5.0.15 of the connector, available now. You can redownload or click "Update extensions now" from the Chrome Extensions pane.
  • I am now updated to Zotero Connector 5.0.16 and all seems to be well except that the Preferences icon is missing from my status bar. I can get to my Preferences by clicking on Edit and selecting preferences from the dropdown menu. But I would like to restore the icon.
  • the Preferences icon is missing from my status bar
    The gear icon in Zotero, you mean? That no longer exists in 5.0, since everything is available in the menus. (The gear icon existed in previous versions because it was necessary for Zotero for Firefox.)
  • I'm not sure if the problem is back, or if it's my Chrome installation, but I cannot get Zotero Connector 5.0.17 to stay online consistently. I managed to save a couple of documents to my online library earlier this afternoon, and then Zotero greyed out again. Quitting and restarting Zotero made no difference.