Mac Office 2016 Zotero 5 Addin doesn't appear

2»
  • edited September 21, 2017
    @jzgarrod Does updating Word have any effect (Help -> Check for Updates)? Could you post your current version number of Word before updating (Word -> About)
  • I had the latest version of Word 2016 (15.38) but it had been a bit flakey - occasionally the 'wheel' would just spin when I tried to do something and I needed to 'force quit' - so I figured there may be a problem with Word and I would reinstall it (Office 365 subscription). This wasn't actually an update.
    Mark
  • @adomasven Updating worked! So simple...

My initial version number was 15.13.3, now updated to 15.38. All is well. Thanks for the suggestion. Am facepalming pretty hard right now that I didn't try to update earlier...
  • edited September 23, 2017
    Confirming that this method -- updating to version 15.38 -- also worked for me. Thank you @adomasven for the solution.
  • edited September 27, 2017
    We have the tried manually installing the older Zotero.dot and then opening it with word - this worked for us on a Mac/Word2016 when nothing else worked. Thanks @adomasven
  • @MarieBlond did updating Word not help?
  • I think this was mentioned in another thread, but for two students I worked with last week, the solution was to update their Word 2016 for Mac software. I believe the option for checking for updates is under the Word Help menu. After the updates ran and installed, the students closed Word, reinstalled the plug-in from the Zotero application, and the menu appeared when Word was restarted. I also helped an Endnote user who had the same issue with Word 2016 for Mac and updating Word solved the problem there, as well.
  • I also encountered the issue and solving it involved a few other things for me: First updated Word to its latest version (now 15.39) and Zotero (to 5.0), and reinstalled the integration plugin. The toolbar didn't show. When opening Zotero.dotm, the toolbar showed up, or I could manually load it in Templates and Add-in... but I wasn't able to get it to automatically show up at startup. I finally realized that the user was using a custom Startup directory to avoid having to browse to a specific location everytime they look for a file (Word is stupid that way). Zotero didn't install in that location, but in the default location. After manually installing in that location, it worked perfectly. Later cleaned up by doing a symlink to Zotero.dotm at the default location so that future update should reflect automatically, and hid the file (chflags hidden) so it doesn't show up in Finder.

Maybe there is a way to read the configuration and install in that location automatically (or use the ln -s / chflags hidden trick)? Not sure this is really a desirable design though...
  • After hours of hair-pulling, nail-biting, what WORKED was exactly this. Start Word, go to Word->Preferences->File Locations then double-click Startup, and make sure the path links to the folder path Startup/Word, where the Zotero.dotm file is located (you should see it there). My Startup was linked to the Templates folder. Restart word, and the Zotero tab will show up as the last tab. I wish Zotero's website made this clear.