Word 2011 plugin not working

This discussion was created from comments split from: Now available: Zotero 5.0.
  • edited August 7, 2017
    Congrats on the new version - But -I recently got a new mac (MacBook Pro 2017), and I just CANNOT get zotero to work with word 2011. The reference window won't show up. What am I doing wrong this time? Is it problems with my installation, or is it just not compatible? I'm running on High Sierra OS. Integration with my browsers, both Firefox and Safari works fine. I remember I had some issues with my old machine too, but have forgotten the solution. Any help appreciated. I'm very addicted to this tool, it's the best reference tool of all times. An yay for keeping up the good work.
  • Do you really mean that you're running High Sierra, the beta version of macOS?

You can try reinstalling the Word plugin from the Cite pane of the Zotero preferences.
  • Also check under View menu in Word whether Zotero is present and checked.
  • I'm sitting with both of my computers to see what could be the reason for the new one running on High Sierra not launching the word add-in (and yes - it's the beta version (17A315i). There is nothing in the View section in any of them. The problem is probably that the button to install the add-in in Zotero->Cite->Word Processors seemss unresponsive.
  • So just to clear up confusion, do you see Zotero toolbar on your new MacBook in Word? If you do, then Zotero should certainly be listed under View (as it would be for the old Mac).
  • On my old Mac(Air mid 2013), running El Capitan (10.11.6) I have the Zotero toolbar, and everything is working great - but no, it's not visible in the Word - view menu either.

On the new MacBook Pro I can't connect to Zotero.
    I've tried to de-install Zotero and install version 4 - same problem. Is it a missing plug-in I'm dealing with?
  • By "can't connect to Zotero" do you mean you don't see the toolbar at all, or does the toolbar do nothing?
  • As mentioned earlier - the "install " button in Zotero is unresponsive, and if I try to find it from Word - (my old machine shows Zotero in it's tools-->macro-->) there's nothing there, and no, no tool bar.
    The Zotero programme itself works fine, the integration with firefox and safari as well - but not with Word 2011. It's a complete no show.
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for clicking on "Install Microsoft Word Add-in" from the Cite pane of the preferences?

After that, you can try the manual installation instructions.
  • I've sent you the debug ID - I've also reported the issue to Apple.
  • You need to post the Debug ID here for us to find it. Also try the manual installation instructions linked above.
  • Alright -I'll make a new Debug ID - the manual installation didn't work either...
    D2101544453
  • What do you mean when you say that the manual installation didn't work? Could you say exactly what you're doing and what's not happening?
  • The Zotero Word add-on does not show up anywhere.
    I did a manual installation - copying and pasting the Zotero .dot file into the Word folder ( ...startup/word)
    I have restarted word, still no zotero integration(no panel, nothing in the macro),
    restarted the computer, still no zotero.
  • You could try manually setting the Startup folder location in Word Preferences -> File Locations.
  • edited August 8, 2017
    I finally solved the issue by manually adding the zotero.dot file in developer-->add-ins section.
  • Just an update - I updated the beta OS today - and now Zotero works like a charm and does not have to be manually activated each time I open Word.