Can't find data from Zotero for Firefox

edited August 7, 2017
This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero 5.0 doesn't show old data.
  • Hi,
    I was using Zotero for Firefox. I'm on Linux and tried what you said, but Firefox mentions no Zotero storage directory. And searching though the terminal:

~/Zotero
    bash: /home/tamara/Zotero: No such file or directory

A normal search in my files does show me a Zotero directory but it seems to be a new one, and when I open it it's completely empty.
    Also, my Zotero sync is empty!...

I've put quite some work into this, can't believe it could be lost.
    Any input appreciated/
  • Let's step back. What does it show for your data directory in the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences?
  • it says default file
    /home/tamara/.zotero/zotero/iafqoq4v.default/zotero
  • OK, same questions that I asked earlier:

1) Do you see a Zotero Quick Start Guide item, and if so, what's its Date Added in the right-hand pane?

2) Do you see a 'zotero' directory in your Firefox profile directory, and is there a 'storage' directory in there with multiple subdirectories?
  • Hi,
    thanks for your help!

1. yes there is a Zotero Quick Start Guide item in the library, it's the only one; Date Added: 6 August 2017

2. and no, I have no Zotero directory in my Firefox profile directory...

I did "clean up" Firefox a week ago, but did re-connect to my profile and retrieved everything... except Zotero??
  • Follow these instructions:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/restore_after_firefox_reset

Do you find the Zotero data from before the Firefox Reset in the Old Firefox Data folder?
  • This seems most useful, thank you!
    but no “Old Firefox Data” for me!...

I found 2 Firefox libraries, both named *.default, but neither has anything Zotero in it...
  • edited August 7, 2017
    So this wouldn't be related to the 5.0 upgrade (and I'm not entirely sure that's even what you're running) — you're just looking for your Zotero data directory on your computer after cleaning Firefox.

If you reset Firefox, there would've definitely been that folder on your desktop. Is it possible you deleted it? Have you searched your hard drive for other zotero.sqlite files? Do you have a backup of your computer from before you did the Firefox reset?
  • Damn... no I don't have that file and I don't remember deleting it, but as I did the cleanup through the terminal, maybe it didn't land on my desktop in first place...

ahhhh, this is so annoying, but it will teach me for the next time...
    thanks heaps for your help!