Firefox 54 Plug-In Conflict with Zotero 5

Noted some odd website behaviour, only for some websites following upgrading Zotero 4 to 5. Best example is ebay; if I go to the ebay home page and do a search, the search results are not displayed. Instead, the display remains the home page. If I hit F5, then the search results are shown. Amazon, for example, also does not load properly.

If I disable all my addons (none other than Zotero changed recently) except for Zotero, there is no problem. There is no problem if I enable classic theme restorer, flash video downloader, roboform 8 and ublock origin. If I enable any of bookmark favicon changer, bookmarks checker, cacheviewer, chmfox, dragon web extension or inlinedispostion the problem reappears.

Note that there is no problem with all of these addons running if Zotero 5.0.13 (or 5.0.11) is disabled.

It seems to be a complex addon interaction problem. Any ideas?
  • Does it happen with just a pair of extensions enabled and no others? Basically, what's the smallest set of extensions for which you can get this to happen?
  • Yes; all of the conflicts noted above cause the problem with Zotero+1 other only. While doing this I noticed that the search box in ebay, after sending a search and having nothing happens, no longer edits correctly - it is not possible to insert or delete single characters and backspace from the end of the search string deletes the whole string, not just the last letter.
  • Can you provide a Debug ID from the connector for reproducing this?
  • Done. D1317818844.
  • Or D2143218368.
  • Waterfox/54.0.1
    I'm afraid we'd need to see this from an official Firefox release.

More importantly, though, each of those extensions that you list as incompatible is a legacy Firefox extension. The Zotero Connector uses the new WebExtension framework that all Firefox extensions need to use going forward. Legacy extensions won't work from Firefox 57 onward and will need to be rewritten by their authors, so it's not worth spending time debugging problems with them. If you encounter any incompatibilities with WebExtensions, we can take a look.
  • Here is one from original Firefox 54 (off a different PC) -- D789356481 in case it is of any interest. It is just the same.

I take your point about WebExtensions. Since noting the issue outlined above I moved to Firefox ESR 52.2.1 on my main PC, partly to see if it made a difference to this problem and partly because I was planning to anyway (to keep Classic Theme Restorer) for as along as possible. Once ESR goes to WebExtensions, it may be goodbye to Firefox!
  • I am also having the same problem with a forum site. With zotero enabled and installed, when i click on a link the page does not load and I have to refresh it before the full content appears. Using firefox 56 and zotero connector 5.0.24

Debug ID is: D8997777