zotero on synced network drive

Hi,

I'm using zotero (standalone version for chrome, V4.0) on two different computers, with the files saved on a shared network drive (both the "base file" and the database). This allows me to access zotero either from my desktop or from my laptop. I pay attention not to use zotero on both computers at the same time.
In addition, the network file is synchronized on my laptop so I could access it also when I'm travelling and offline.

I came into a problem is that the libraries are different if I open it from my laptop or from my desktop. The modification I made on my laptop are not apparent on the desktop. This is really puzzling to me because they should use the same "zotero.sqlite" file. Any idea that could explain this behaviour?
  • You absolutely do not want to store your database in the network drive. This can lead to numerous problems and will very likely lead to database corruption in time (e.g., if you open the database on one computer while it is open on the other).

If you want to store your attachment files on the network drive, then you should place only the 'storage' folder there (and use the "base file" setting you are already using to line up the different file paths on the two machines). To sync the metadata, though, you should use Zotero syncing (this is free). Zotero is not designed to have two different computers using the same database file off a network drive (this is also the case for database programs generally), and such a setup will almost certainly lead to unexpected behavior and problems (as you are already seeing).
  • Thanks for your answer.

Well, for some safety and confidentiality issues, the use of zotero server and therefore of zotero syncing is not possible at my work. This solution is therefore not possible.

Until now , I did not notice any problem, as long as I was careful not to use the two computers at the same time so I was hoping to continu working like that. It worked for several years with close to 2 Go of data and almost 2000 documents.
  • It's possible to run your own version of the Zotero sync server on your own server: https://github.com/zotero/dataserver (additional information can be found on the zotero-dev Google Group).

Beyond that, I'm not sure what could be causing your database to seem to be out of sync on the two computers. My only guesses would be that what method you are using to sync your network drive to your laptop isn't work or that you accidentally left the databases open at the same time, leading to some overwrites or other corruption.
  • Also look into Zotfile: http://zotfile.com/. If you can attach your server via WebDAV, Zotfile can really improve your workflow. I use it to access a library on a NAS drive from multiple computers all the time.