Error updating document

This discussion was created from comments split from: ZOTERO KEEPS CRASHING.
  • Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

An error occurred communicating with Zotero:
    java.lang.ClassCastException: com.sun.star.uno.Any cannot be cast to java.lang.String
    at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.ReferenceMark.setText(ReferenceMark.java:208)
    at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.execute(CommMessage.java:127)
    at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.getBytes(CommMessage.java:40)
    at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommServer.run(CommServer.java:60)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    'An error occurred communicating with Zotero:
    java.lang.ClassCastException: com.sun.star.uno.Any cannot be cast to java.lang.String
    at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.ReferenceMark.setText(ReferenceMark.java:208)
    at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.execute(CommMessage.java:127)
    at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.getBytes(CommMessage.java:40)
    at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommServer.run(CommServer.java:60)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    ' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationField::setText]
  • @mawhite3118 Your problem is different from the original poster’s. It looks like you have a corrupt citation or bibliography in your document. First try to delete the bibliography and then click the Zotero Refresh button. If that still gives the error, then please follow these steps and report back here with exactly what you did and what happened:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents

@dstillman Can we split this thread to a new one?
  • Zotero Error Report 440878139

I have tried removing each citation and the reference, but the error continues. There may be a hidden Zotero field in the document, I cannot see the field codes even with Ctrl-F9 in this version of LibreOffice.

I should also mention that I am using the Word2005 .doc format with the Zotero "Bookmarks" format for citations. This occurred because I am collaborating with someone else using Office2010 for Windows, and the Zotero citations and bibliography do not display as field codes, but normal text which he thought could be edited.

The solution was to Remove All Zotero Field Codes in the revised document and reinsert the citations. Fortunately I had an older version with the references to use as a guide.
  • Yes, you likely had a hidden broken citation somewhere in the document. An unfortunate drawback of using Bookmarks is that they are more fragile than ReferenceMarks (e.g., it's easier to accidentally leave a hidden portion of the reference when deleting a citation).

One other thing you can try in the future if this happens again would be to cut and paste each section of your document into a new document and continue under adding a section introduces the error into the document.