PDF not found in group library

I am having an issue with Zotero locating pdf's. It can locate the pdf in one group library, but can't in another.

I have been adding pdf's to a group library using the store copy of file - retrieve meta data method. The citation is then shared to another group library by dragging it from the middle pane into the new library in the left pane.

Zotero can locate the pdf within the original group library (Group Library 1), but if I go to the new group library (Group Library 2), Zotero says it cannot locate the file.

The problem seems to be inconsistent, as in this is only a problem with some citations.

I have set the sync preferences to sync as needed because the Group Library 1 is shared among many people and contains many citations and files. Both group libraries are set to private, but have multiple users.

If I delete the citation from Group Library 2, empty the trash, and then added it again from Group Library 1 the pdf link follows it properly.

Any insight on what is causing the problem?
  • If you drag an item from one group library to another without the attachment being downloaded (as can happen with "Sync as needed"), Zotero can't attach the file in the new group. This is because it tries to make a copy of the local PDF file that doesn't exist. To avoid this issue, first open the PDF in the first group library to download the attachment, then drag to the new group library.

@dstillman Would it be possible for dragging an item to a new library to trigger the attachment download process?
  • edited August 1, 2017
    @bwiernik: That's this (though it has a somewhat different implementation — I don't think downloading should be necessary). We should be able to do that soon.
  • Great, thanks.