Formatting first author differently to others

I'm trying to create a style sheet for Sociological Research Online. The brief description of the style is at: http://www.socresonline.org.uk/info/style.html

In the reference list the first author's surname is displayed in all-caps, but other authors are not. Is it possible apply different formatting to different authors?
  • Unfortunately, I do not see any way in current specification of CSL, but maybe @damnation or @Rintze can help?

In this case, I think, we need something like "capitalize-use-first", simmillarly to "et-al-use-first", maybe in some new specification.
  • Not currently possible.

More examples of style guides requiring this particular type of formatting would be useful, to make sure this is common enough to support in CSL, and to make sure we cover the most important variability out there.
  • I guess I'll have to do something close and then some manual changes to the reference list when things are finished

@LiborA, rather than a very specific "capitalize-use-first" I wondered about an attribute for name that would identify specific entries in a list. An attribute such as "position" could allow different formatting to be applied to an element with position "first" than to other elements. EG

<names variable="author">
    <name position="first">
    <name-part name="family" text-case="uppercase"/>
    </name>
    <name>
    <name-part name="family" text-case="capitalize-all"/>
    </name>
    </names>