Difficulty installing Word Add-on

Report ID #547178875

Hello,
I just got a new computer. I installed Zotero standalone and I'm running version 5.0.6. I'm having difficulty getting the Word add-on to install. When I pull up the Add-ons menu, the screen is too big- I can't see any of the choices. When I call it up through the Preferences menu, I can get to the Word Processors link and it says "The Microsoft Word Plug-in is not currently installed". When I click the button to install, nothing happens. I'm using Word 2016.

Thank you for your help!

Becky
  • This is on Mac? Could your provide a debug ID that cover you pressing the "Install Word component" button?
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • Hi,

I'm on a PC. I think this report has me clicking on the button to install the Microsoft Word Plug-in:

Thanks!
  • edited July 24, 2017
    I have the same problem on MacOS 10.11.6 and MS Word version 15.33. My debug ID is D1368141956. This worked without any problems before I updated to Zotero 5.0 (currently running 5.0.6).

ETA: I just checked in Word, and it's working now--that is, I can add citations to a Word document. I think Zotero must be installing the plugin but not recognizing that it has been installed (it still says it's not).
  • Hello - I am also having trouble with this. I disable the Firefox extension and Word Plugin, then installed new Zotero. My old Zotero tools are still in Word, but the program says it is not installed. When I click "Install Word Plugin" nothing happens. The old tools seems to work, but I am wondering how to get the new ones and how to help other users do the same. thank you for your help.
  • If you would update to 5.0.7, which was released yesterday and provide another Debug ID for pressing the Install button, that would be great.
  • Okay- I upgraded to 5.0.7 and gave it a try. Here's the report ID:

Thanks!
  • edited July 25, 2017
    Could you produce a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for pressing the install button?
  • Sure - it's D1285984755. thanks!
  • Does going to Tools -> Add-ons, disabling the extension, restarting Zotero, enabling the extension, restarting Zotero and pressing the button to Install help?
  • Hi,
    Here is the debug ID I got. I tried your last suggestion, but still couldn't get it to work. Thanks for your help.

D2109406208
  • So, I'm trying, but I can't follow the part of the instructions that refer how to find the folder for Word. These are the instructions listed on the link that you gave me. I put the problems that I have with following them in parentheses...

In Word, open the “Word” menu in the top-left of the screen (there is no "Word" menu) and select “Preferences” (can't find this- I can get to "Options" but don't see the rest of what I'm supposed to do). Click on “File Locations” under “Personal Settings” and click on “Startup” at the bottom of the list. This may list your Startup folder location.

If there is no location listed, the default location is ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word (i.e., the Library folder within your home directory). The ~/Library folder is hidden by default, but you can open it from the Finder (do you mean search?) by holding down Option (I don't have an Option key...I tried Alt, but it didn't do anything), clicking the Go menu, and selecting Library. You can also press Cmd-Shift-G in Finder (Search?) and copy the path above to navigate to that folder.
  • edited August 1, 2017
    Sorry, I linked to instructions to Word for Mac. The instructions for Word for Windows are found above on the same page.
  • Great- thank you! Looks like I'm all set :)
  • debug report for pressing the install button - D1895680552
  • Re: Does going to Tools -> Add-ons, disabling the extension, restarting Zotero, enabling the extension, restarting Zotero and pressing the button to Install help? -Yes! Thanks!