Syncing problem for .pdfs after upgrading to Zotero 5 from Zotero for Firefox. Debug id: D1071960772

Greetings,

I have just upgraded to Zotero 5 from Zotero 4 (Firefox version). I have also installed the new plugin for Firefox. My library was fully synced prior to installing Zotero 5. When I first started up Zotero 5 I recall something flashing past about folder locations, and then syncing started with the on-line Zotero library. However only a small number of .pdfs have synced. When I click on an item with a .pdf (hollow icon instead of a solid blue icon), I get the following dialog:

The attached file could not be found.

It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero, or, if the file was added on another computer, it may not yet have been synced to or from zotero.org.

I followed the instructions about resetting and logging the debug and trying to re-sync as on:

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/files_not_syncing

Debug id: D1071960772

I'm running Windows 10, Firefox is the default browser, and using 'Zotero' rather than webDAV. I'm using good old local C: drive for all things software and Zotero libraries, not any 'cloud' thing like Dropbox.

If it helps, I can get the .pdf of a single item by choosing 'download files as needed' under Preferences > Sync > File Syncing > Sync attachment files in My Library.

That's a bit tedious though.

Has Zotero 5.0 somehow missed wherever Zotero 4 for Firefox was storing the pdfs?

Many thanks for your help!

Leon
  • When I first started up Zotero 5 I recall something flashing past about folder locations, and then syncing started with the on-line Zotero library.
    If you upgraded a fully synced 4.0 library to 5.0, your library, including attached files, should already be in sync. Are you saying that Zotero 5.0 ended up pointing at an empty data directory and synced down all your data and files again?

If you had your data directory in the default 'zotero' location within either the Firefox profile directory or Zotero profile directory before, Zotero 5.0 should have migrated your data directory to 'Zotero' in your user directory entirely intact. Can you check those directories to see if there's still a 'zotero' directory in either of those locations (probably the Firefox directory if you've always used Zotero for Firefox)? If so, and you look in its 'storage' subdirectory, do you see many folders, with recent timestamps for any you added recently?

If so, it'd be really helpful if you could try to repeat the migration progress and generate a Debug ID for it. First, for good measure, make a backup copy of both data directories — the 'zotero' one from the profile directory and C:\Users\<username>\Zotero. Then, in Zotero, select "Enable after restart" in the debug output options and select the old data directory location from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane. Then quit Zotero when prompted. Once it's closed, move the new C:\Users\<username>\Zotero directory out of the way, and restart Zotero. It should perform the migration to "Zotero" again with debug output logging on. Hopefully whatever happened will happen again and you can submit a Debug ID that shows the problem.

All that aside, the easiest way to fix this if necessary is to manually move the 'zotero' directory to C:\Users\<username>\Zotero with Zotero closed. When you then start up Zotero, you should see your data just as it was in Zotero 4.0.

(Of course, file syncing should also work, but I'm much more concerned with the upgrade issue for the moment.)
  • Thank you dstillman.

I'm not sure that the debugging id thing worked. When I restarted Zotero, 'submit to Zotero server' was greyed out even though I had done "Enable after restart" before quitting - so I guess it did not enable after restart as advertised?

Anyway, did another debug id as soon as I could prior to manually re-syncing. That Debug ID is D1522987607. I had experimentally added a couple of new .pdfs to the library (and synced to the server) before attempting the migration again. Those files had the same issue as above, but the 'download files as needed' option worked OK and was fine for those few files. I mention this because that might be what's in the Debug file submitted.

I have migrated the old Firefox profile file to the new default Zotero folder via the dialog option as well, so that seems to have worked.

Thanks again for your help.

Leon.
  • Just to let you know, we tracked down a couple issues with the data directory migration. When there was an error migrating the database, the error message with manual instructions was incomplete, and, more problematically, Zotero could end up pointing at the new empty data directory instead of the old one. Both fixed in the latest version. Thanks.