Zotero Connector for Chrome Broken for APA PsycNET?

I'm trying to save articles from APA PsycNet. Zotero Connector offers to save them as webpages with snapshots, but not as articles.

This is one of the articles I'm trying to save:

http://content.apa.org/record/2017-20208-001

I'm running Chrome 59.0.3071.115 and the Zotero Connector version 5.0.10

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

Dan
  • The recent changes to the APA PsycNET page layout appear to have broken the translator.

@adamsmith @zuphilip
  • I'm having no luck with this one, either, sorry. To get to the RIS, the website makes an API call, but I can't get that API call to go through in Zotero. Maybe Philip has a better idea.
  • I have similar problems as @adamsmith . The API call seems to open also a popup window and I cannot see the final url for the API call. Maybe also some JavaScript library which one would have to understand...

From the list of formats, it seems for me that APA wants to support reference management software as Zotero. Would it be reasonable to ask them for some advice how to grab the RIS data automatically when starting from the corresponding article page?
  • Issue created — this is a pretty hostile site, but we may be able to get it to work.
  • I am having the same issue - I am using a variety of databases in APA and Zotero will only save articles as a web page with or without a snapshot. Yikes! I am trying not to panic.
  • APA recently changed their site layout completely. Besides breaking the existing Zotero translators, they have introduced many other issues (e.g., following a DOI link in a journal article now often takes you to a paywall, rather than to the article abstract page, which is completely inappropriate).

As Dan says, Zotero is doing its best to try to update the Zotero translator to work with the new format. In the mean time, you can either (1) copy the DOI shown on the article page and use the magic wand in Zotero or (2) use the “Export” button shown under the title and choosing Zotero or Endnote, then import this file to Zotero.
  • I tried to come up with something. However, the main problem at the moment is that the extracted metadata from RIS are usually from another article then the one currently looked at. Moreover, it seems for me that this is the same behaviour, when I try to download "Export" from this website. Can someone confirm this strange behaviour of the APA PsycNET website? E.g. open the website http://psycnet.apa.org/record/2017-20208-001 , click on Export, choose Zotero and then "Go", compare the metadata with the article you have open, repeat maybe.
  • Yes, seeing completely bizarre behavior. It looks like the first RIS export (in a session?) works, after that it gets weirder and weirder (my second attempt on a different article just gave me the same RIS as for the first and the third attempt produced something entirely different.)