Zotero connectors in Firefox and Safari no longer exporting

Report IDs: 464119509, 2006680438

I upgraded to Zotero 5.0 on Mac (using "Help" > "Check for updates"). Now I can't export from Firefox or Safari. Both of them claim to be saving whatever I've chosen (including snapshots/PDFs), but the items do not appear in my standalone database. I'm also not prompted to open Zotero if it's not currently open when I export.

I've tried removing and reinstalling the connectors. I've tried unlinking and relinking my account. I've tried "uninstalling" Zotero and re-downloading it (though I'm on a Mac, so I was only deleting the application).
  • (General recommendation: do less drastic troubleshooting & post here sooner. All those re-installs sound like a huge waste of your time and it was pretty certain they wouldn't work)

Let's troubleshoot this from Firefox, which has more easily accessible output.

Paste moz-extension://b470a7bf-67f1-4a98-be4a-090a40c5c236/preferences/preferences.html#general in the URL bar and press return. What does it say under "Zotero Status"?
  • edited July 19, 2017
    Yeah, I was about to teach a Zotero class, so I was desperate to get it to work.

When I paste that into the URL bar in Firefox 54.0.1, nothing happens?
  • odd. Click on the three horizontal bars button at the top right, then addons, then "Options" under the Zotero Connector
  • Okay, it says "Zotero is currently available."
  • If you go to Zotero, select a collection, then save and item from Firefox, is the collection listed in the pop-up that tells you it's saving to Zotero?
  • edited July 19, 2017
    Indeed. I selected a collection, and saved an article from NYTimes.com. It says it's saving it to "My Library" (doesn't give the collection name). It gives a truncated title of the article and says it's saving the snapshot. Nothing is saved to "My Library" or the collection.
  • That seems like they're not saving to Zotero locally then, but they are saving somewhere.
    Have you checked if the items you have save have appeared online (i.e. when you click on My Library at the top of this page)?

Could you confirm that
    http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping
    Says "Zotero Connector Server is Available" in Firefox?

Then, provide a debug ID from the Connector (different from a report ID) for saving a NYT article https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#zotero_connectors_firefox_chrome_and_safari
  • They're not in my online library.

When I go to http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping it says "Endpoint does not support method"

The debug ID is 1106250434
  • Have you tried restarting your computer? This is all quite odd and almost sounds like there is an old version of Zotero running in parallel.

Dan or Adomas will need to look at the debug, but you're sure that's debug output? The number should have started with a D.
  • Restarting fixed it. Bravo! Thanks a million! If you still want the actual debug ID, it's D679644091.