cannot install Word 2011 plugin with Zotero standalone (Mac)

I can't seem to install the plugin through the Cite preferences pane of the Zotero standalone program. I click the button to install, but nothing happens and no toolbar appears in Word (Word 2011). iMac OS 10.11.6

I have the toolbar installed on my macbook, no problem. Can't figure out why I can't get it installed on my iMac. Help...
  • Do you have Zotero listed under View -> Toolbars? If you do, make sure it's ticked. If it is not there, have you changed the startup location of Word 2011?
  • No it is not listed.
    No I have not changed the startup location.
  • Can you submit a Report ID?
  • How do I do that?
  • wait, I generated that report ID from my macbook, which has the toolbar in Word just fine. I will need to generate a report ID from the Zotero app on my iMac, which is where I'm having the issue and can't seem to get the toolbar to install in Word. sorry.
    I'm not at that machine right now, so it will be later until I can do that.
  • here is the report ID from the computer that I can't get the toolbar to show up in Word... 470820762
  • Could you submit a Report ID after pressing Install Word Add-In in Preferences -> Cite -> Word Processor Integration?
  • Sure. Here ya go... 698725217
  • Ok, this is not getting me anywhere, but let's try debug log before doing something more extreme. Could you submit a Debug ID for pressing Install Word Add-in?
  • edited July 21, 2017
    Same problem in my wife's macbook. We ugraded her Zotero from 4.0 to 5.0.6. But there is no "word extension" in MS Office Word although i install the extension again in preferences. It's not work.
  • I tried the Debug ID processed, and followed the directions. I enabled debugging and then immediately tried to install the Word toolbar. But when I went back to the debug options "submit to zotero server" was still greyed out and I could not select it. Since I can't do that, then I don't know how else I can submit the debug ID...
  • on my macbook, where the toolbar works in Word, I upgraded from zotero 4 to 5 the other day, and the toolbar still works fortunately.
  • Any more help with this? I still cannot install the Zotero toolbar in Word 2011.

Also, I noticed that since I have updated Zotero to v5 on my macbook, the "re-install" option is no longer there in the Cite pane. I still have the toolbar and it works thankfully. However, this makes me wonder if there's not an issue with v5.
  • Eric, i solved this problem re-installing the word plug-in in extension segment in Zotero. How i did? In extensions, i selected on "disable", then i re-installed word plug-in again.
  • @eric.radecki Could you upgrade to 5.0.7 and provide another Debug ID?
  • got it - D880795425
  • I did it again just to make sure I did it right - D1926177766
  • Okay, this does not seem to be getting me far. You can try following the instructions here https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation#word_for_mac_2016

You will need to copy Zotero.dot, not Zotero.dotm, and the startup directory is /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Startup/Word. You can paste this address into the Go box, which is opened by pressing Cmd+G in Finder.

We'd appreciate it if you continued helping us debug this. The next step in that would be installing a dev build and providing another Debug ID for pressing the button.
  • I found the zotero.dot file and copied/pasted it into the Word startup folder (the folder was empty except for the zotero.dot file I pasted there; shouldn't there be other files in that folder?).

I closed Word and Zotero and then reopened Zotero and clicked on "install Word toolbar" in the Cite preference pane. Nothing happened. I opened Word and there was no toolbar.

Thanks for sticking with me and trying to figure this out...
  • None of this is working. I download the dev build for the word plugin and dragged it to the preference pane, but still no toolbar in Word...
  • edited July 30, 2017
    @eric.radecki: adomasven meant a dev build of Zotero 5.0, not the Word plugin. You should start by uninstalling that one from the Zotero Add-ons pane, which should cause it to revert to an "SA" version after you restart. (The latest versions are bundled with Zotero, and the ones on that page haven't been updated in a while. I've removed the links for now.)

Also, to be clear, when you copy Zotero.dot to the startup folder, you don't need to then reinstall from within Zotero (since copying the file to the right location is basically all that button does), so don't worry about the 5.0 Beta for now.

If you copy Zotero.dot into /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Startup/Word and restart Word, you should see Zotero.dot listed in the Tools -> Templates and Add-ins window in Word. If not, do you see anything else listed? Is there a path listed at the bottom of that window? Is anything else listed for Startup in Word Preferences -> File Locations. (If it's blank it should default to that directory.)
  • Ok, I did all of this on my macbook because I'm not at the iMac right now. I disabled the toolbar, then installed the dev build of the stand alone, and then enabled the toolbar and installed it. Perfect. But my macbook already had the toolbar working, so...
    When I get home I'll do the same on the iMac. I'll leave a comment at that point as to where things stand. Thank you for your help.
  • Voila! That did it. dev build installed on the iMac, enabled the toolbar, and toolbar appears in Word now. Thanks for all the help guys!
  • edited July 30, 2017
    For what it's worth, assuming you were already running 5.0.7, the current beta shouldn't actually fix anything — it just logs a couple extra lines when something goes wrong — so you should be able to revert to the latest release version from the download page.
  • OK thanks. Are there any issues just staying with the 5.0.8 beta build?
  • That's fine — you'll get more frequent updates, and you're more likely to see a glitch here or there from recent changes, but we're happy for people to use the beta.
This discussion has been closed.