Justifying text in notes

This discussion was created from comments split from: [5.0 beta] Question regarding Note Editor functions..
  • I have a related problem. After installing Zotero 5.0.4, I have lost the functionality of justifying text in my notes.

Before it was possible to do it thanks to an option in the menu activated by a right-click.

Now right-click gives only three options:
    -Link
    - Right to left
    - Source Code.

Is there any way to fix this loss of functionality? Thanks.
  • There are toolbar buttons for left, right, and center alignment, the same as before. There's no longer an option to full-justify text in 5.0, if that's what you're referring to, but I'm not sure why that would be necessary.
  • Yes, I am referring to full-justify.

I do find it very useful, as I use notes primarily to save extensive transcriptions from archival sources.

With full-justified notes I have the kind of order and clarity that one can find in printed books. There is a reason why these have neither left, nor right, nor even justification.

In any case, if the full-justify functionality was present in the previous version of Zotero, why should it be removed in version 5? Was it causing any inconvenience? I guess not.
  • While I do hope that the full-justify switch may be reintroduced in later versions of Zotero, it is at least possible to have all notes justified by default

1. Modify --> Preferences --> Open about:config
    2. filter with the keyword "note"
    3. modify extensions.zotero.note.css, pasting the following value: p {text-align: justify}
  • The alignment menu (which had the justified option) was removed from the context menu in the new version of the note editor in 5.0, but I've added a version of it back for 5.0.5, which should be out this week.
    With full-justified notes I have the kind of order and clarity that one can find in printed books. There is a reason why these have neither left, nor right, nor even justification.
    (To be fair, those all use hyphenation. Justification without hyphenation is generally pretty unpleasant, particularly when narrow (as is the case in the right-hand pane in Zotero).)
  • Thanks for re-introducing the alignment menu! I appreciate very much your kind response to my request.
  • I have just downloaded Zotero 5.0.5. Now the context menu allows the selection of all types of text alignment. Thanks for this excellent revision!
  • First of all, compliments to the development team for the impressive new Zotero 6! It's really amazing under so many respects.

Secondly, I am experiencing once again the problem that occurred when Zotero 5 was released: I cannot find a way to JUSTIFY text in notes. The only options are

- Align Left
    - Align Right
    - Align Center.

Is there any way to fix this in about:config?
    I can see that the earlier fix [ modifying extensions.zotero.note.css, pasting the value: p {text-align: justify} ] doesn't work anymore.

Many thanks in advance!
  • @paoloaranha: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/401847/#Comment_401847

Apparently I'm consistent. You can respond there and link to this thread if you want. Closing this one.
This discussion has been closed.