v.5.0.4 - bibtext-key error with ampersands {\&}

I have today upgraded to v5 (awaiting eagerly that BetterBibTeX will be available at some point later...). When I export my bibliography in bibtex, I keep getting errors whenever there's an ampersand involved. No matter what I do in Zotero, when the title includes an ampersand - even included in {\&} - the exported bib file eliminates this in the output (only for the bibtex-key).

Is there a way to fix this?
  • just to understand correctly -- you're not getting an error message, right? Zotero just exports citekeys without ampersands? That's on purpose. Zotero does (and has for a long time) removed a bunch of words and characters from citekeys:
    https://github.com/zotero/translators/blob/master/BibTeX.js#L1121

• jkr
    edited July 15, 2017
    no error message.

> var citeKeyCleanRe = /[^a-z0-9\!\$\&\*\+\-\.\/\:\;\<\>\?\[\]\^\_\`\|]+/g;

that's what not working in my case - or perhaps it does? Because I get an error message in RStudio running Markdown through pandoc-citeproc

the output file using the new BibTeX.js still yielded

@article{diks_e&f_2008

thanks for the fast reply!
  • ah OK, had that turned around. So, it's not removing ampersands from citekeys as it should. The code was refactored a little in 5.0, and it's possible this broke. We'll look into it.
  • great, thx
  • actually, sorry, I looked at this too quickly. That code explicitly allows ampersands in citekeys. I never quite understand which characters are or aren't allowed in citekeys and it seems like every implementation has its own view on this (and I don't like modifying the citekey generation code so as to not break existing documents) but for your own purposes, if you just delete \& from the line above in your BibTeX.js it will remove the ampersands (the regular expression lists allowed, not forbidden, characters).
  • Excellent. That did the trick.
  • note that this change will get overwritten on bibtex.js updates in the future -- for such a small change, I'd just recommend to fix this when it comes up again so that you can benefit from other fixes in the bibtex translator