Installing Word Plugin on Multiple Office Installations

Hi, i have a patron who has both Word for Mac 2011 and 2016 installed on his computer. When he installed the Zotero Word plugin, it defaulted to the 2016 install. Is there a way he can also install it on his 2011 installation? Thanks!
  • By manually placing the Zotero.dot (not .dotm) into the Word 2011 Startup folder that should work, yes.
    General instructions here, even though they don't list Word 2011 explicitly:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation#manually_installing_the_zotero_word_for_mac_2016_plugin
  • Thanks so much, I will give this a try and report back!
  • Hi - OK, I installed office 2011 and the version of Word was 14.5-something. I followed the instructions of adding Zotero.dot into the Startup folder and setting the folder path in Word, and it did work. However, when I updated to version 14.7.6, the toolbar stopped showing up at startup. Any suggestions? I'll continue to look online. Thanks!
  • Is the template file still in the startup folder? If so, check your security settings in Word to see if templates/add-ins/macros have been disabled.
  • @bwiernik - Hi! Yes, the template file is still in the startup folder, and we disabled macro protection. Here's what happens: On startup, Word does not have the Zotero toolbar visible under View -> Toolbars. When I double-click on the Zotero.dot file in the startup directory, Word opens a new document, and the toolbars are visible. However, if I open a file just from within Word, without double-clicking on the template, no toolbar. So it seems that for whatever reason it's not loading on startup. There are two other files in the Startup folder - the EndNote CWYW plugin and MathType. These both work file. The EndNote is a .bundle and the MathType is a .dot. I'm utterly confused at this point!
  • One more question: When re-installing the plugin from the Zotero Desktop, will it only install into Word 2016? I tried deleting the Zotero.dot file from the Office 2011 startup folder and reinstalling form Zotero Desktop, but it did not reappear. Where can I download the Zotero.dot file from?
  • edited July 13, 2017
    You should upgrade to Zotero 5.0, which has better overall support for Word for Mac. Zotero.dot sometimes fails to load in Word 2016 on Mac, but we never managed to reproduce it, or pin-point the reason. The updated template in Zotero 5.0 appears to always work.

If you've changed your startup folders you will still need to manually install the plugins. Zotero.dot goes into Word 2011 and Zotero.dotm into Word 2016.
  • Ok now I am confused. The person I am working with *did* install Zotero 5.0.2, but it did not load the Zotero toolbar into Office 2011. How can I get the Zotero toolbar to load into Office 2011? He has both Office 2011 and Office 2016 installed and uses both.
  • There is no Zotero.dot file in Zotero 5 as far as I can tell. I emailed him the Zotero.dot file form my Zotero 4 install and tried @adamsmith's recommendation above, and it did not work.
  • Zotero.dot file should certainly be in Zotero.app, unless your colleague has accidentally moved it out of there completely. An older Zotero.dot should work, or a recent version can be downloaded from here.

However, if your colleague has changed the startup folder for Zotero, then the toolbar will not show up. As you have pointed out yourself, if you open Zotero.dot with Word manually the toolbar will show up, so it's a startup issue. Make sure Zotero.dot is placed in the correct location and enabled under View menu in Word 2011.

You might be running into an issue where the toolbar isn't displayed on some systems, but we have only had reports of that for Word 2016, not 2011. If you are sure everything is set up correctly, then I am afraid there's little advice we have, but Word 2016 is compatible with older versions of Word anyway.
  • Hi, thanks for your help and your feedback. OK, I will check his machine again for the Zotero.dot file. I can find it now in mine, but I upgraded from 4 to 5, he did a fresh install of 5 and we could not find the file on his computer.

When you say "the startup folder for Zotero" are you talking about in Zotero or Word? We have the Startup folder path specified in Word 2011, and we had the Zotero.dot file in that folder. It was NOT showing up in the View menu AT ALL in Word 2011. Other plugins in the startup folder were working fine (EndNote and MathType). Is there a conflict with the EndNote plugin?

Using Word 2016 is not an option right now for my colleague because they use MathType in 2011, and MathType for 2016 isn't as good.
    Thanks again for your help!
  • bwiernik means the Word startup folder (Zotero doesn't have one). I could very well see a conflict with Endnote -- that's be the first thing I'd check.
    You can download the Zotero.dot for MacWord 2011 from https://github.com/zotero/zotero-word-for-mac-integration/raw/master/install/Zotero.dot (right-click --> save link as).
  • Thanks much - I suspected that too. I'll try uninstalling that and then seeing if it works.
  • Hi! Apologies for the long delay in updating. My patron was fiddling around and tried reinstalling the toolbar, and restarted everything, and suddenly it worked! :) I wasn't there so I can't attest to exactly what he did, but I do want to thank all of you for taking the time to comment and help. I will definitely bookmark this answer as I suspect this will not be the first time this situation comes up. Much thanks again!