Extract Characters from Words

Hello,

I would like to extract the first letter of every word in a journal title ignoring prepositions and conjunctions to form a journal title abbreviation. For example, “Journal of Business Finance and Accounting” should be abbreviated as “JBFA”.

In addition, I would like to abbreviate the year of publication with the last two digits. For example, year 2003 should be abbreviated as 03, year 1998 as 98.

Ultimately, I would like to transform the following reference:

Engel, E., Hayes, R.M., Wang, X., 2010. Audit committee compensation and the demand for monitoring of the financial reporting process. Journal of Accounting and Economics 49, 136–154.

to:

Engel, Hayes, Wang (JAE’10)

Many thanks for your help,

Gejir
  • Can't be done in Zotero's citation styles, sorry.
  • Dear AdamSmith,

Thank you for your prompt answer. I understand.

One more thing. Would it by any chance be possible to make changes to the Zotero database to make the "Abbreviated Journal" field contain the abbreviations based on the first letters and then use the "Abbreviated Journal" field instead of "Journal" field? Just a thought...

Thanks for your help.

Gejir
  • yes, absolutely -- the javascript API should be able to handle that nicely, though afaik there's no easy way to run that for Zotero Standalone/Zotero 5.0
    https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/client_coding/javascript_api
  • AdamSmith,

Thank you.

Gejir