Move Entries from Group Library and Keep References Intact?

Hi all,

Wondering if any of you can help me figure out "best practices" as regards moving entries and files between a group library and my library. I use RTF/ODF-Scan for Zotero to scan and cite entries in my writing, and export citations in "Scannable Cite" format, so that they appear something like this: { | anon. Dwindling Drug Traffic, 1940 | | |zg:1444812:IGMT9ATA}

I also work with a few research assistants who enter data for the several thousand references I have on in current project. They use a shared group library that I have created.

At some point in time, when this work is done, I would like to bring the group entries back into my own private library. But when I drag the files back in, the reference changes, and breaks the reference I have in any open draft. For instance, I drag the above file into my library, and it appears as { | anon. Dwindling Drug Traffic, 1940 | | |zu:256527:DI7HCX89} The codes are different, and the citation does not work.

Is there any way to automate the import of several thousand entries while keeping these codes? Would an export and import take care of this? Any suggestions, solutions, or best practices would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Ben
  • No, sorry. Items in My library an each group library are not linked so they have different codes.
  • (They actually are linked, but RTF/ODF-Scan would need to look for the linkedObjectPredicate relation.)
  • (yeah, I know this, but given how ODF-Scan works, I don't think we'll tackle this. The actual scan doesn't interact with the Zotero database at all, so this would somehow have to be stored in scannable cite and make that even more messier. Alternatively, it could be built into the word processor add-on, which is probably a more natural place for it)
  • Thanks to all of you for your help. I suppose I will refrain from using these files until I have imported them to my own library so as to avoid having to change references manually. Many thanks!
    Ben