misnumbered reference

Hi Everyone:
Wasnt sure what to call this phenomenon but i have a library user who is writing a paper with Zotero. They cited an article once in the paper---it happened to be citation number 71. Later in the paper, they cited the same article again but Zotero gives it number 96. Shouldn't it assign that article the same number--71? and if so, what might be the problem? thank you! (the style being used is Vancouver with brackets)
  • The most common reason I've seen for this is that they have not cited the same record within Zotero, and that there are actually two entries in the Zotero database for either the same resource or for a very similar resource. Have you verified this is not the case?
  • Hi!
    I asked them if there were duplicates in their library and they said no! I am trying to think of any other possibilities....One other characteristic of the issue is that they are working from a group library with other colleagues...
  • i have more information on what is going on with this paper:
    1. the paper was created in Word and the style used was "Vancouver with brackets".
    2. Citations were added to the paper.
    3. The author then split the paper into 3 separate files.
    4. The author is continuing to add/edit citations to the now separate files and Zoteroa adds the article as a new citation if it is already in the paper.
  • Hard to diagnose this without looking at the document (or even the library).

If you have a copy of their document, I'd suggest toggling the field codes & seeing if the citationID matches. If it does, there is either a bug or an issue with corruption of the field. This may be resolved by deleting the corrupt field & re-adding it.

If the citationIDs do not match, the issue is the one I desribed initially & the user is mistaken.