Word displays field code after reference update in Zotero

When I alter a reference stored in Zotero (e.g., removing a URL so it doesn't show up in my bibliography), Word updates the citation and bibliography automatically - however, track changes shows the citation field code (very, very long!). Accepting the change does not revert back to the citation, but just accepts the field code, which remains in the document. I have to remove the citation and re-enter it in order for it to display properly.

I have the 'show hidden field codes' preference in Word OFF and am not sure what else I can do! I'm working across multiple documents with hundreds of citations and several reviewers, so turning track changes on and off is not practical.

Also, Word will sometimes update every citation field with a "Field Code Changed" label - I can't find any pattern to this at all. If I advance through the Track changes, it flips to the field code view and I can't get rid of it. If I manually go through and righ-click > Accept Change, this doesn't happen... again, that's impractical given the number of citations that I have.

I'm currently using Word for Mac 2016, but this was happening when I was using Word 2011 as well. I have Zotero 5.0 (I can't remember whether this started before I upgraded from 4.x).

Thank you!
  • edited September 18, 2017
    I also have this issue using MS Word 2016 with Windows 7 Professional. I have not found any pattern to it, and can not turn track changes on and off as I edit my documents.
  • What you are likely seeing is that Word is showing you which changes have been made to the field codes when you are accepting track changes. When the field codes pop up, just click Accept twice to accept that that citation was changed.
  • I have the same issue and this is NOT a minor bug/annoyance. I have to work with tracked documents all the time which include many references (100+) and remembering to switch track changes on and off continually is very difficult. This is the one bug that stops me from recommending Zotero to colleagues. Does anyone have a permanent solution? Could disabling track changes on Zotero updates in Word be an option that could be added to Zotero 5? That way people would have a choice.
  • When field codes pop up, click Accept twice. That will hide the codes for that reference — this is just Word showing you that codes were change. You don’t have to turn off Track Changes. It really does work without any hassle.
This discussion has been closed.