Issues with multiple sources

Hi, if you are citing a series of things, for example:

'foo, bar, monkey'

And wish the footnote to be:

joe bloggs fooite thought in 21st century (London: Bloggs and Son, 2000) p12; frank thomas bar history of the 1920s (Dublin: Macmillan, 1975) p6; bloggs fooite thought in 21st century (London: Bloggs and Son, 2000) p56

Where both foo, and monkey come from the same book, (in this case p12 and p56) but for the logical order of the argument you want them split by bar.

You can't have two references to the same book on the reference line in zotero - it won't let you add the same book/reference twice in one multiple source citation? - yet what if, to keep the citations in order with that they appear in the text you need two references to the same book, but one after the other?

I don't think this is at present possible, if it is please tell me, if this is incorrect, please shout!

Cheers,

S
  • edited April 16, 2009
    With you, I think this is an important feature. As far as I know, it is not yet supported in Zotero, but I'm hopeful that it eventually will be. I wrote a patch that permits it, and you can read all about it here:

http://groups.google.com/group/zotero-dev/browse_thread/thread/953c8603d1b464f1

One of the two patches mentioned in the thread under the link has been incorporated into Zotero, but the same-source-in-a-citation one hasn't made it. One reason might be that considerable complexity is added to the relevant module by that particular patch, and the Zotero team may be concerned about (a) its impact on maintenance and future development, and (b) unexpected side effects. Personally, I too would be wary of untested code written by some guy that walked in off the street, so I can't really complain. But I'm still keen on the feature.

So for the present, as far as I know, this isn't supported. But the team are certainly aware of the need, and in time we can hope that it will find its way into the feature set. The best way to help that happen is the rough-cut democracy of Zotero's user base.

Two votes for repeated use of the same source in citations!

Frank Bennett