Autocapture in Chrome not working

Hello
I use Zotero standalone for windows with a Chrome plugin and a while ago autocapture stopped working. I can add refs in manually, and the citation tools still work for importing citations into my written work. I checked Zotero is up to date, and then I removed the Chrome plugin to try and re-install it. Now I can't re-install it, when I click on the Chrome button, nothing happens. Any ideas? I'm stuck. I'm not very good with technology but I've used Zotero for a long time without any problems before.
Many thanks
Clare
  • Sorry, I am not fully understand. You cannot open Chrome? Did you try restart your PC?
  • I deleted the Chrome plugin, because it wasn't working, so I thought I'd delete it and start again, but now I can't download the Chrome plugin. So I have Zotero standalone but I don't have a plugin.
    Cheers
  • So when you go to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zotero-connector/ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc?hl=en -- what do you see and what happens when you click "Add to Chrome"?
  • When I follow the link you've provided it takes me to a website that tells me that i can't download from the Chrome website, I need to do it from Zotero, which I have tried over and over. So when I click on the chrome button under the Zotero Standalone button on the zotero website, nothing happens, although the button appears to be live, because my mouse turns into a hand to show that it's a live link.
  • edited June 25, 2017
    The connector on the Zotero.org is the same as on the Chrome web store (the link is to the Chrome web store). What message exactly you see on the Chrome web store?
  • When I follow the link you've provided it takes me to a website that tells me that i can't download from the Chrome website, I need to do it from Zotero
    That's quite odd. To the best of my knowledge, the Google Play Store (i.e. that link for the Zotero extension) is the only place from which to install Chrome extensions and the Chrome button on zotero.org/download does nothing but link to that page.

Could you say what _exactly_ it says there rather than paraphrase?
  • Okay... I can't find that message now...(!) but there's a red button in the top right hand side on the Chrome website which says NOT COMPATIBLE (in caps like that) and when I hover over it, a message says "This application is not supported on this computer. Installation has been disabled. The following problems are detected. Chrome of version at least 55 is required."

(I only just found this message, your question made me hover over the red Not Compatible button, which I should have done before).

So it looks like I need to update my version of chrome, although I thought I had an up to date version. I can't work out how to update it (I've just been reading the Chrome help pages) but I can get some help on that in the morning, and try again to install the plugin. Fingers crossed.
  • I just found which version of Chrome... I'm only using version 49, so that may be the problem if I need at least 55.
    It also showed that updates are disabled by my administrator, which may be why I'm only on 49! So I'll try and fix that...
    Thanks for your help, because you helped me to find that important message about compatibility, which I'd missed before.
  • In case it helps making the case for updating your browser -- Chrome 49 also no longer receives security updates so is generally unsafe to use.
  • Thanks a lot :)
  • Yay! I got Chrome updated and managed to download the connector and Zotero is working again - huge thank you!