Empty library

Hello, I know the empty library is an often discussed problem in this forum, but also after searching through the discussions and trying several things, I open zotero and still have an empty library. The problem is the following:

I update my mac from os x snow leopard to os x lion and now my zotero library appears empty. I tried several things:
- re-download zotero (now I have zotero and zotero2 in my program-folder)
- shift the zotero-folder (located on my harddisk) to another location and back
- delete the file "zotero.sqlite" and rename the file "zotero.sqlite.1.bak" in "zotero.sqlite"
- a thousand restarts of zotero/firefox/computer...

nothing helped! are there other steps I could try?

Thanks for your help.
  • edited June 23, 2017
    STOP! Don't do anything else to any Zotero files! (Apology for the shout.)

OS X 10.7 (Lion) is many years old. It was released in 2011. The current version is OS X 10.12. In a few months, 10.13 will be released. Someone else on this forum will be able to say more about this but you are likely having compatibility problems with more than Zotero. You are likely using an out-of-date browser.

Do I understand that you are running Zotero 2.x? The current Zotero is 4.0.29. Many changes have been made to the program. I think that the database structure has been changed.

@adamsmith or @dstillman or someone else will need to give you advice about what to do to get your system working.

• Yeah, so I'm surprised Zotero ran on Snow Leopard -- it's my understanding that you'd need 10.9 upwards to run current versions of Zotero. I also thought it was possible to run newer operating systems on the same software, but I'm not a Mac person.

But let's start with "empty" -- what exactly do you see? An completely empty library or is there a "welcome to Zotero" item?

And what's the size of the various zotero.sqlite files on your harddisk?
  • Do I understand that you are running Zotero 2.x?
    No, "zotero2" is just a renamed directory/file.
    Yeah, so I'm surprised Zotero ran on Snow Leopard
    Zotero 4.0.29.11 ran on 10.6-10.8. We weren't offering auto-updates beyond that version to people on those macOS versions, but it looks like the download page was offering later versions to 10.7 and 10.8 users. I've now fixed it to serve 4.0.29.11 to all 10.6–10.8 users.

@anna2121, if your Mac supports a later macOS version (i.e., unless you have a computer from 2006 or thereabouts), you should absolutely upgrade the OS. If not, you should re-download Zotero from the download page to make sure you have Zotero 4.0.29.11, which is outdated but which should run on 10.7. You can delete the other Zotero applications in your /Applications directory.
  • Thanks for your answers.
    I already re-downloaded Zotero from the download page (yesterday) and I have now Zotero 4.0.20.15, macOS 10.7.5 and Firefox 48.0.2.

When I open Zotero there is "my library" on the left but it's empty, i.e. all my entries are disappeared. The only item that's in it is called "quick guide" (i.e. Schnelleinstieg, as I use a german version of Zotero) and when I put the arrow there's written "welcome to Zotero".

On my harddisk I have
    - zotero.sqlite 1.1 MB
    - zotero.sqlite-journal 91 KB
    - zotero.sqlite.1.bak 1.1. MB
    - zotero.sqlite.bak 1.1. MB

I already browsed my computer to find other, bigger zotero.sqlite files but didn't find one.

What other steps could I try? Thanks for your help!
  • I'm sorry to say that these are all empty libraries. Did you sync to Zotero online? When you click on "My Library" at the top left of this page, do you see your items?
  • No, I didn't sync to Zotero online and when I click on "my library" at this page, there are no items.
    In the answers above it's recommended thtat I update to the newest macOS version. Shall I do that or first try something else?
  • While a newer OS is probably a good idea in general, unless you're able to find a larger zotero.sqlite file, it's not going to bring your library back.
    Do you have any hard disk backups (time machine, e.g.)?
  • Yes, I have a hard disk backup. The latest I did before I updated to OS Lion. There are the following zotero.sqlite-files:

- zotero.sqlite 1.1 MB
    - zotero.sqlite.1.bak 1.1. MB
    - zotero.sqlite.bak 1.1. MB

I guess, these are empty as well, so my problem hasn't to do with the OS update...?

In the storage-folder I find my pdfs but that means nothing to the problem of the empty library, right?
  • yeah, these are all empty, which is quite odd since presumably you had the Zotero library on your computer. What I'm suspecting is that the "real" database might be in your Firefox profile.

What's the filepath to the Zotero data folder?
  • Yes, I have/had the Zotero library on my computer.
    The zotero folder is located in a folder called "Diss/Forschung" on my Macintosh HD. The filepath (if I understand it right) is /Diss:Forschung/zotero
    So it's written also in Zotero --> extended applications --> files and folders --> storage location --> proper (I translated the vocabulary from german, so there might be other expressions in the english version...)

I am not sure, did this answer your question?
  • You have also used Zotero in Firefox, right? Have you looked in your Firefox profile

/Users//Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles//zotero
    to see if there is anything there? I believe the Application Support folder is hidden on Mac, so you wouldn't see it by default.
  • I found the Application folder, I followed the path as you suggested:
    /Users/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles, but the only folder in it is called "nakorhbc.default" and in there are (sorry for the long list, but just to get sure, that I didn't miss something):

addons.json
    addons.sqlite
    blocklist.xml
    bookmarkbackups (folder)
    cert_override.txt
    cert8.db
    compatibility.ini
    content-prefs.sqlite
    cookies.sqlite
    cookies.sqlite-shm
    cookies.sqlite-wal
    crashes (folder)
    datareporting (folder)
    enumerate_devices.txt
    extensions (folder)
    extensions.ini
    extensions.json
    extensions.log
    extensions.sqlite
    features (folder)
    formhistory.sqlite
    gmp (folder)
    gmp-gmpopenh264 (folder)
    gmp-widevinecdm (folder)
    healthreport (folder)
    key3.db
    localstore.rdf
    logins.json
    marionette.log
    mimeTypes.rdf
    minidumps (folder)
    permissions.sqlite
    places.sqlite
    places.sqlite-shm
    places.sqlite-wal
    pluginreg.dat
    prefs.js
    revocations.txt
    saved-telemetry-pings (folder)
    search-metadata.json
    search.json
    search.json.mozlz4
    search.sqlite
    secmod.db
    serviceworker.txt
    sessionCheckpoints.json
    sessionstore-backups (folder)
    signons.sqlite
    SiteSecurityServiceState.txt
    storage (folder)
    times.json
    webapps (folder)
    webappsstore.sqlite
    webappsstore.sqlite-shm
    webappsstore.sqlite-wal
    xulstore.json

But I find a Zotero folder in the Application Support folder (/Users/Library/Application Support/Zotero/Profiles/jt2hvev6.default) and in there is (sorry again):
    blocklist.xml
    cert8.db
    compatibility.ini
    content-prefs.sqlite
    cookies.sqlite
    crashes (folder)
    datareporting (folder)
    extensions.ini
    extensions.json
    extensions.sqlite
    formhistory.sqlite
    key3.db
    localstore.rdf
    mimeTypes.rdf
    permissions.sqlite
    places.sqlite
    pluginreg.dat
    prefs.js
    revocations.txt
    saved-telemetry-pings (folder)
    secmod.db
    sessionCheckpoints.json
    SiteSecurityServiceState.txt
    storage.sqlite
    times.json
    webappsstore.sqlite
    xulstore.json
    zotero (folder), in this folder there are the folder locate, pipes (empty), storage (empty), styles, translators, and a zotero.sqlite file (1.1 MB)

Is this leading to something? Thank you very much for your continuous support, I'm still hoping...