Bibliography management and formatting

Is there a best way to format the bibliography? I want to make the margins on either side of the page wider but I'm worried that if I do that it will get corrupted or something. Or will just revert to the original format if I update it?
And it's currently showing some references which I want to exclude. I tried removing them all in one go using the edit bibliography tool. But when it updated it, it put them all back, changed the font and at a later date said it was corrupted, so I removed it and created it again but then it had all the references I'd taken out in it again...! Is there a better way to manage this?
  • 1) You will want to edit the "Bibliography" formatting style in Word (similar to the Heading 1 and Normal styles, etc.) by opening the styles pane and finding "Bibliography" (in LibreOffice, I believe the style is called Reference1, but you can check by placing your cursor in the bibliography and seeing which formatting style is shown in the Styles menu.

2) To remove entries from the bibliography, you need to delete the corresponding citations that are in the body or your document. The "edit bibliography" button is intended for making minor changes to reference formatting (e.g., to add a * before articles included in a review) or to add an otherwise-uncited reference to the bibliography.