Big problem after "Insert citation" => bibliography in chaos!

Hello,

For a few days I receive the following error message when inserting a quote on Word (2010 version):

"You've changed this quote since Zotero created it. Do you want to prevent these changes and prevent new days?"

"Click YES will prevent Zotero from updating this quote (...) Click NO will delete your changes"

I wanted to click on "NO", but impossible! If I click "Yes" or "No" the error message persists and I am forced to close everything and restart.

As a result, no possibility to see the "Zotero error report".

Help me please, it's hell. I have to make my work today and the only solution I found was to manually edit all my bibliography.

Indeed: by copying my document, I succeeded by force of insistence and having to delete, to reissue my bibliography and to modify manually the references. But the error is there: there is no update possible, references shift and no longer correspond to anything. As soon as I want to add a reference upstream, the bug re-emerges!

The explanation I tried to follow in English does not solve my problem because I think:

1- I do not know how to delete the bibliography "properly" (the bibliography disappears but the references with the numbers remain in my document

2- No access to the "error report"

3- When the insert works, the references do not match and everything shifts

4. same problem in copy of document

Thank you for your help, it is very important. I've lost a lot of time trying to solve myself and try things.

This message is my last hope.

PS: I can not afford to uninstall / reinstall Zotero today because I need to keep all my bibliographies and notes to make my work. Thanks thanks!
  • Rest assured, this is almost certainly a much smaller problem that you are thinking it is right now.

If you don't recall making manual edits to your in-text citations, then what probably happened is a bug having to do with Track Changes in Word. What you need to do is to just click "No" in the Zotero prompt about making changes. When it pops up again, it's not the same prompt--it's a new prompt for a different citation in your document. Just go through your entire document and click No for each prompt that pops up. That will restore your document to letting Zotero automatically update each citation.

(@adomasven Was it ever determined what has lead to the recent uptick in this happening?)
  • @a.assouan You should follow Brenton's suggestions. If that doesn't help you might have a single broken citation that is confusing Zotero in the rest of the document. You should follow debugging broken documents instructions in that case to try and resolve it.

@bwiernik Unless there has been an update to Windows or Office I think the surge is coincidental, since the reported versions of software for everyone differ and there has not been any updates for Zotero.
  • Thank you for your answers. There is the best (my bibliography updates without too many error messages). But, the reference figures in the text do not update. There is always a problem of lag. Yet I do "refresh" or I insert a new bibliography but the figures of the text do not change. I do not understand. Thank you !

• I think it was because I had manually changed the numbers during the problem. I have to remodify (au secours j'y ais passé toute l'aprem mais pas le choix) passing by zotero by carrying out the action "to replace the fields".
  • Yes, you want to let Zotero automatically handle all citation formatting--manual changes will prevent updates.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage
  • Bonsoir
    j'ai tout d'un coup le même problème...
    je suis incapable d'écrire en anglais désolée
    c'est très énervant ce message sur les citations que j'ai modifiées... je voudrais garder les modifications et les mises à jour en même temps.
    QUID ? Comment faire...
    Quelqu'un peut il m'aider en francais par hasard ?
    Et pourquoi ça vient tout d'un coup ce message ? Ca fait des mois que j'ai effectué ces modifications..
  • Pouvez-vous s'il vous plaît créer un nouveau sujet et décrire exactement ce qui se passe lorsque vous essayez d'insérer une citation? Avez-vous modifié manuellement le texte de vos citations ou de votre bibliographie?
  • Bonjour, je viens d'avoir exactement le même problème.
    Vous avez modifié cette citation depuis que Zotero l'a crée. Voulez-vous empêcher ces modifications et empecher de nouvelles jours
    ID : 654302851
  • Pouvez-vous s'il vous plaît créer un nouveau sujet et décrire exactement ce qui se passe lorsque vous essayez d'insérer une citation? Avez-vous modifié manuellement le texte de vos citations ou de votre bibliographie?
  • J'ai exactement le même problème. Je dois rendre un article en révison ce we grand max...
  • @sellieryann: Please start a new thread (French in fine) and explain the exact problem you're facing and what you've tried.

This is an old thread, so I'm closing it.
This discussion has been closed.