[Zotero 5.0] Zotero crashes

ReportID: 711629470
I just made the switch and have not yet been able to add items to my libraries. I click in firefox on the 'save to Zotero' icon, I see 'Saving to Zotero', but it never gets there.
  • Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero for when this is happening?
  • edited June 15, 2017
    I'm just starting to work with Zotero again today - and yes I will provide a Debug ID. Right now I have the problem that it takes forever to start up. I first got this (https://www.screencast.com/t/fFsGWcQv4vR) for quite a while (let's say 30'?), and now it's been 'loading items' (https://www.screencast.com/t/rRIMCdzVNyGq); for about 5 minutes. (and btw - this is on my notebook, which has only one SDD and where I was already able to open 5.0 yesterday)
  • Did it finish?
  • Yes. And I enabled debug and restarted (Debug ID: D220797657). I think it took around 10' (am doing other stuff, so I can't tell for sure - but maybe the log will tell).
  • OK, can you upgrade to 214 and provide a Debug ID for startup from that?
  • The Debug ID is D489486227
  • And now I just got an "Error has occurred. Please restart Zotero" message. Error ID: 272361960. Latest debug ID is D1902467064.
  • edited June 16, 2017
    Debug ID D489486227 seems to be post-startup, no? You're seeing a slowdown because Zotero is processing synced full-text content for you, which it does in the background when the computer is idle. Prior to 214, it was trying to do that during startup, which was delaying the appearance of the items list. That should be fixed in 214 — which should also delay that processing until your computer has been idle for 30 seconds — so you should now be seeing your items much more quickly at startup. Are you not?
  • Debug ID D489486227 might have been. I thought Zotero would restart automatically after I clicked on that. And then when it didn't, I reopened - but so then I had two instances running. But D1902467064 should have been done properly (I think)
  • No, both of those just include a huge amount of (what should be) background processing of full-text content, which starting in 214 shouldn't begin until at least a minute after Zotero is initialized (and you've left the computer idle for 30 seconds). Can you provide a Debug ID just through the initialization of the Zotero pane?
  • (To clarify, if you leave the debug output running long enough, it will log lots more lines of full-text processing and push the startup output off the beginning. So you have to submit the output once Zotero is done starting up.)
  • (The full-text processing does seem to be more disruptive for you than it should be, and we'll certainly look into that, but for the moment I'm just concerned with startup time.)
  • Dan - I will do that tomorrow. Thanks for helping out...