Zotero citations: journal titles not properly abbreviated

Hi,
I was asked by @adamsmith to start a new thread about this topic, so here I am.

The problem that I am currently experiencing is this: when I am creating a bibliography in a manuscript, if I use the option "Automatically abbreviate journal titles" not all the journal titles are abbreviated. For example, "Clinical and Translational Imaging" or "Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews" are not abbreviated at all.
In my understanding, zotero is using some kind of internal database (sqlite?) for storing the journal names and the corresponding abbreviations; I would like to know if there is any chance that a "normal" user like me can access and update this database or if we can just overwrite it, using a personal one (such as a json file).

Thank you!
  • What style are you using?
  • edited June 14, 2017
    @bwiernik For this manuscript is "journal of organic chemistry"
  • That's very odd. You're positive you have the automatically abbreviate option checked, you're inserting the citation with the Word add-on and clicking "Insert bibliography" to create the bibliography?

Because my citations e.g. for Clinical and Translational Imaging title with The Journal of Organic Chemstry look like this:
    (1) Jadvar, H. Clin. Transl. Imaging 2017, 5 (3), 199–208.

(plus bold & italics), which looks exactly right to me.
  • Good morning,

you are right! First of all, yes I was 100%positive (even because that is the only way I know to insert citation in word). However, after you had told me it was fine with you I have been playing around a little bit and I found out that there is a problem with the @fbennett add-on. Indeed, when the addon is enabled, no matter if I tick "automatically abbreviate option" or not, it is always overwriting/bypassing zotero preferences. I had to disabled it, reboot zotero, and now with the option activated I can see the correct abbreviations. I guess this addon is a little buggy for the zotero standalone version.
    Thank you for your help!