Error message: 'You must place the cursor in a Zotero citation to edit it"

I'm getting this message when I want to add a citation to either a preexisiting citation or a new citation in the doc. I've read a previous message posted in April 2017, and I tried clicking the "Use clasic add citation..." in Preferences, but it hasn't helped. I also downloaded the latest plugin but that doesn't seem to have helped. Not sure how to find out the version of Zotero that I'm using

I also tried adding a citation to a new doc, and the add citation works fine. Does this mean I have a corrupted citation in my current doc? Does this mean going through the debugging document process?

This doc is a chapter in my thesis, that is currently standing alone, not in the main thesis doc as I am editing all the chapters.
  • And you are placing the cursor inside the Zotero citation (not next to)?
  • yes, I put my cursor within the citation. Tried several locations.
  • edited June 14, 2017
    Does this happen for all citations or just a few? Can you right click on a citation and choose Toggle Field Codes--can you copy one of the blocks of code that appears when you do that here?
  • I cut and pasted the text into a new document and that seemed to fix the problem. Fingers crossed...