Saving journal articles from Chrome not working

Error ID: 1519404124

I'm using the regular Chrome extension to try and save journal articles and getting the error: "An error occurred while saving this item. See Troubleshooting Translator Issues for more information."

This is occurring pretty reliably on Google scholar and intermittently on other academic search platforms, but not reliably with any one article. If I leave the article up on my computer for awhile, sometimes it will save.

Any ideas appreciated!
  • BibTeX not found.
    Are you saving many items at a time? The most likely cause of this would be Google rate-limiting you (which is why it would work after waiting a while).

If you can generate a Debug ID from the Chrome extension for an attempt that fails, we might be able to tell you more.
  • So this is now consistently not working when I try to save articles from a Google Scholar search (when multiple results are still showing) but I'm only trying to save one at a time.

(Though it's nice to be able to save multiple at a time and that has also worked fine before).

The Debug ID is D302320633

• edited June 19, 2017
    FWIW, the last 10 days or so I've had intermittent problems with GS and BibTeX and it has nothing to do with Zotero because Zotero has never been installed on one of the computers that has the problem.

Steps to reproduce:

Search regular Google for the title of a journal article.

At the top of the listing find an alert that says the article is available in Google Scholar.

Click the link to GS.

The GS record appears but clicking on the link goes to a paywall site such as EBSCO or OVID or to ResearchGate or to a similar researcher community sites.Clicking the BibTex link provided with this main GS entry doesn't open a window with the BibTeX. Below this main GS entry is a link to n similar records.

Click the link to view the additional sites. While one of these often can provide full text, clicking on the BibTeX download link for this full text link or any of the others doesn't open a screen with the BibTeX. One of these similar records may be a site like JSTOR and the metadata is available there but, although the GS link itself to the JSTOR site has a BibTeX link, that GS BibTeX link doesn't actually provide the BibTeX.

The next time I encounter this I will add to this thread and provide the title to an article with no GS BibTeX metadata.

Zotero may want to present a more detailed indicator when GS fails to supply the BibTeX but "BibTeX not found" is exactly the problem.

[edit: This no-Zotero computer is used to test EndNote, Mandeley, Papers, etc. with my database website.]
  • Here is an article title that can be used to demonstrate the GS issue:

The gender suicide gap and differential misclassification: a research autobiography
    - Rockett IRH. International review of modern sociology 2017; 43(1): 5-32.
  • @chelsea.liddell could you click on "Cite" under a google scholar entry and then on "BibTeX" at the bottom of that window. Does that work?