Zotero Connector 5.0.4 and Chrome 49

This discussion was created from comments split from: Add web pages to Zotero doesn't work.
  • edited June 8, 2017
    I am having a similar problem, except I haven't yet found a page that the Connector will work on, including the worldcat one that was used as an example in a similar discussion item. I checked, and no items are being added to the zotero web page either.

Report ID 1521072881

Chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 (64-bit) (cannot be upgraded)
    OS X 10.8.5 (cannot be upgraded)
    Zotero standalone v. 4.0.29.11
    Chrome Zotero Connector 5.0.4

-Rebooted – no change
    -Disabled all extensions except zotero – no change
    -Then re-enabled only one of them

[error log removed — D.S.]

I also have a screenshot I can upload, but don't know how to do it to these comments. Thanks!
  • The 5.0 Chrome connector requires up to date Chrome, sorry (I think the hope was to put a min version on this, but not sure if they have gotten around to this yet).
  • edited June 8, 2017
    Thanks for the speedy response. Is it possible to revert to an older version of the Chrome connector?
  • 10.8.5 (cannot be upgraded)
    You're aware that all Macs that can run 10.8 can run 10.11? Running an outdated OS is unsafe, and running an outdated browser is extremely dangerous.
    I think the hope was to put a min version on this, but not sure if they have gotten around to this yet
    Minimum version is in place as of 5.0.5, but if you were already updated to 5.0.4, it'd be too late. I'm not aware of any easy way of installing older versions via the Chrome Web Store. There are third-party archives, but we can't vouch for them and wouldn't recommend using them, or you could clone the official code from GitHub and build from the 4.0.29.11 tag, but either way you'd still have to install it as an unpacked extension in dev mode in each Chrome session.

Really, though, running an outdated browser is a very bad idea, and you'd be better off — for Chrome, Zotero, and everything else — just finding a way to upgrade to 10.11, which is free and compatible with all the same machines that can run 10.8.

(Zotero 4.0 will also stop syncing — and translators may stop working — in the not-too-distant future, and you'll need to upgrade to run Zotero 5.0 anyway.)
  • dstillman, I am very grateful for your comment! The last time I had checked, there was no upgrade of OS X that was available for my hardware. Your comment caused me to revisit the issue, and now I am happy to report that I am upgraded to Sierra 10.12.5, which in turned has allowed me to upgrade Chrome to v59.0.3071.86.

Even better - the Zotero connector is back to its usual self. Even if there are more changes on the horizon, I'm so glad to have functionality back for now. Thanks again!
  • Ah, great — even better. If you're running 10.12, you should be set for quite a while. (All Macs that can run Sierra will be able to run High Sierra this fall.)