Volume number on short title

Hi, I have been trying to make a modification to Chicago Manual of Style Fullnote to make it put:

vol.

on the short title references, at present they would look like:

Lomas, Letters and Speeches, 1, 8.

Whereas I would like:

Lomas, Letters and Speeches, vol. 1, 8.

I have tried various combinations of additions, but at present none of them appear to work, any help would be much appreciated.

S
  • Is volume number part of the item, or do you add it when inserting a footnote, as a locator?
  • I want to add it to the footnote, as at present, I have 3 volumes of Lomas, Letters and Speeches, and at present the subsequent footnote (if I reference the same volume a few references later) gives me:

Lomas, Letters and Speeches, 8.

Which offers no volume information, whereas I think it should to offer some form of differentiation...

I think, from what I gather from the csl, that it hits the point-locators-subsequent macro if it is in a subsequent citation - is this the case?

If so should the necessary volume call be placed in that macro?

Cheers,

S
  • edited April 14, 2009
    The correct Chicago format for what you want to do is:

Lomas, Letters and Speeches, 1:8.

where 1 is vol number and 8 is page no. To get this formatting, just put "1:8" in the locator field. if you prefer this:

Lomas, Letters and Speeches, vol. 1, 8.

then when adding the footnote, just choose "Volume" as the locator label, and enter "1, 8" in the locator field.
  • edited April 14, 2009
    Ah ok, brilliant, cheers for pointing out the correct format.

I now have a major problem though:

I went added a footnote, choosing 'volume' as the locator label, and entered 2 into the field.

Now whenever I put a new footnote in from that book I get:

Lomas, Letters and Speeches2. , 59.

How can I get rid of that two? It persists even when I delete the citation and put a new one in, but in the Zotero pane in Firefox, I don't have any change to that database entry?

Cheers,

S
  • In fact it persists all the time across any new citation! Even in different documents! Where is this 'put volume number right in next to the title' preference and how can I turn it off?

Cheers

S
  • Right, minor panic over, I reset the document preferences and that went away.

Cheers,

S

• The correct Chicago format for what you want to do is:

Lomas, Letters and Speeches, 1:8.

where 1 is vol number and 8 is page no. To get this formatting, just put "1:8" in the locator field.

Is there no way to make it automatically format like this: i.e. I just put '8' in (the page) and it then pulls out the volume and forwards correctly? It seems strangely inelegant to require you to put that information in when it is already in the database?

S
  • yes, given that this makes it impossible to disambiguate between different volumes in subsequent citations, this should be fixed. it will be shortly.
  • Brilliant,

Cheers for your help,

S
  • How can I make this change (have volume number show up with a colon before the page number and not in the title) in my CSL? I use SBL format, and for some reason the version I have does not cite the volume in this format, even though it should.

Thanks!
  • This is now fixed; the updated style should be available shortly from the styles page.
  • Great - thanks!
  • I tried it out, and it doesn't seem to work. If I have a short title with no page number, it comes out as follows: Gunkel, “Das vierte Buch Esra,” vol. 2. If I do have a page number, the volume doesn't show up at all.

The format SBL asks for is as follows:
    A Multivolume Work
    Long footnote
    Adolf Harnack, History of Dogma (trans. Neil Buchanan; 7 vols.;
    Boston: Little, Brown & Co., 1896–1905).
    Short footnote
    Harnack, History of Dogma, 2:126.
    Bibliography
    Harnack, Adolf. History of Dogma. Translated from the 3d German ed. by Neil Buchanan. 7 vols. Boston: Little, Brown & Co., 1896–1905.

An Article in a Multivolume Work
    Long footnote
    Richard Bauckham, “The Acts of Paul As a Sequel to Acts,” in The
    Book of Acts in Its Ancient Literary Setting (ed. Bruce W. Winter and Andrew
    D. Clarke; vol. 1; Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1993), 105–52.
    Short footnote
    Bauckham, “Sequel to Acts,” in Acts (ed. Winter and Clarke), 1:107.

I appreciate your help!
  • edited March 3, 2010
    This is now partially fixed, but these citations cannot be formatted exactly because of limitations in Zotero and CSL.
    A Multivolume Work
    Long footnote
    Adolf Harnack, History of Dogma (trans. Neil Buchanan; 7 vols.;
    Boston: Little, Brown & Co., 1896–1905).
    Short footnote
    Harnack, History of Dogma, 2:126.
    Because this is a multivolume work (as opposed to one volume of it), it would require that user enteres two point-locators, for volume and page, when creating a citation. Currently CSL only accepts one point-locator. The workaround is to enter "2:126" when you enter the citation, and leave the "page" label. The result will look as above.
    An Article in a Multivolume Work
    Long footnote
    Richard Bauckham, “The Acts of Paul As a Sequel to Acts,” in The
    Book of Acts in Its Ancient Literary Setting (ed. Bruce W. Winter and Andrew
    D. Clarke; vol. 1; Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1993), 105–52.
    Short footnote
    Bauckham, “Sequel to Acts,” in Acts (ed. Winter and Clarke), 1:107.
    Because there is no field for short book title in book section only the full title of the multivolume work can be cited (this should be fixed when hierarchical item types are implemented in Zotero). The citation now reads as follows:

Bauckham, “Sequel to Acts,” in The Acts of Paul As a Sequel to Acts (ed. Winter and Clarke), 1:107.

You can then manually shorten the multivolume work title.

The updated style should be available shortly from the styles page. Let us know if there are any more errors.
  • Thanks for your help! Differences are duly noted.
  • Can Zotero now automatically add the volume number before the page number when citing the short titles for a specific volume?