new permanent sync errors with WebDAV when File containing Umlaut or Greek letters

Since recently (unfortunately I cannot tell you more exactly) I get always the same pattern of sync errors of files that were previously syncing fine.

I did not change anything on the WebDAV side.
The error is the same on different computers and platforms.

I tried on mac and linux. On linux I also installed the standalone version and also tried directly with the git repo on the current branch 'zotero 4.0'. The error pattern remained all the same. I made sure using the latest zotero on all my tests. WebDAV server even running on local network, so there is no proxy hassle, no router, no security software in between.

Here are some error IDs:

The pattern is this:

[JavaScript Error: "File 'some file with Umlaut or Greek letters' not found after processing download null/2C6W6HK2 in Zotero.Sync.Storage.processDownload()" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 1134}]

The error occurs always on the same line.

Hoping this provides enough useful information about the issue and that it could be traced down by it.
  • edited May 31, 2017
    An explanation could be the notorious NFC vs. NFD unicode representation against which many have banged their 'sync-heads' before:

Cf. eg.:
    - https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing/issues/430
    - https://github.com/aws/aws-cli/issues/1639

Since beforehand I worked only on mac but now need to involve linux machines as well.

Could this be the reason of my sync problems?

What could I do solving the issue without being forced to decide for one platform?

I saw this post here:
    - https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/206680#Comment_206680
    hinting somehow at zotero version 5 might provide a solution for the supposed issue.

Thank you for answers, suggestions, comments.

• I would just try the 5.0 Beta, which will be released soon as final. We couldn't fix this in 4.0 anyway, so the first step would be to see if it's still happening in 5.0.
  • edited June 1, 2017
    Thank you for this quick answer and clear suggestion how to proceed.

In order to start sync over under definite conditions, I did the following:

1. Empty my local WebDAV server completely. (No file left there, no smart caching, etc.)
    2. Reset file sync history on my production machine still on zotero 4.
    3. Start syncing -- Success: everything back on the WebDAV (15GB). No Errors
    4. Upgrading arch linux box to Zotero 5.0 Beta.
    5. Reset file sync history on linux -- to be sure.
    6. Start syncing
    sync failed -- ok --- it's a lot of data.
    7. press sync once again. After a while, I got a very similar error compared to the one that caused my original posting (see below).

I am pretty sure there is an NFD encoded unicode file name that could not be found because NFC is expected on the linux side.
    Another mac just syncs fine against my WebDAV!

Hope this is clear enough to address the issue for Zotero 5.

Solving it by hand while changing all the attachment file names is not an option since my database is huge (nearly 10 years of Zotero ;-). It would take weeks...

Thank you, indeed.

Here is a sample output of report ID: 1773558494

[....]

[JavaScript Error: "File '202392-ThinkPad-External-Battery-Charger-40Y7625-externes-Ladegerät.html' not found after processing download 1/VC6QCCA8" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/storageLocal.js" line: 590}]
    Zotero.Sync.Storage.Local.processDownload<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/storageLocal.js:590:4
    tryCatcher@resource://zotero/bluebird.js:5294:16
    [16]</module.exports/PromiseSpawn.prototype._promiseFulfilled@resource://zotero/bluebird.js:2169:18
    [22]</module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromise@resource://zotero/bluebird.js:3379:17
    [22]</module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromise0@resource://zotero/bluebird.js:3419:5
    [22]</module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromises@resource://zotero/bluebird.js:3498:13
    [2]</Async.prototype._drainQueue@resource://zotero/bluebird.js:264:13
    [2]</Async.prototype._drainQueues@resource://zotero/bluebird.js:274:5
    [2]</Async/this.drainQueues@resource://zotero/bluebird.js:148:9

[JavaScript Error: "File 'παροιμίες.html' not found after processing download 1/VRZFN2GQ" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/storageLocal.js" line: 590}]
    Zotero.Sync.Storage.Local.processDownload<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/storageLocal.js:590:4
    tryCatcher@resource://zotero/bluebird.js:5294:16
    [16]</module.exports/PromiseSpawn.prototype._promiseFulfilled@resource://zotero/bluebird.js:2169:18
    [22]</module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromise@resource://zotero/bluebird.js:3379:17
    [22]</module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromise0@resource://zotero/bluebird.js:3419:5
    [22]</module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromises@resource://zotero/bluebird.js:3498:13
    [2]</Async.prototype._drainQueue@resource://zotero/bluebird.js:264:13
    [2]</Async.prototype._drainQueues@resource://zotero/bluebird.js:274:5
    [2]</Async/this.drainQueues@resource://zotero/bluebird.js:148:9