Chrome Connector not working

Hello,

I ran a Zotero workshop with some students yesterday and one had a problem with downloading the software that I was unable to resolve.

She downloaded Zotero for Mac and the Chrome Connector. All seemed fine. However, when she searched catalogues, she did not see the 'yellow folder' icon that you'd normally see when a list of results is found, but the white page you'd normally see for a website. When she clicked on this, nothing happened and nothing was saved to her library.

I checked what version of Chrome she was using, as well as her operating system. She's on OS X 10.8.5 and I don't think she can get Chrome updates on this system (as Chrome suggested when I checked for system updates). Is this the reason why she was unable to get the Chrome Connector working?

Many thanks
Kevin
  • Yes, you need the latest version of Chrome for the Connector to work.
  • @adomasven -- there's no way to block or throw a warning in Chrome when trying to install/update an add-on to an unsupported version? This is the 3rd or 4th such message we've seen in a relatively short period of time.
  • Looks like we can set a minimum version.

@kevinwilson: Worth noting that all Macs running 10.8 can and should be upgraded to 10.11. 10.8 hasn't received security updates from Apple since 2015, and an outdated browser is outright dangerous to use.
  • Hi all,

I passed this info onto the student and having updated Chrome, she's now said Zotero is running properly, so thanks very much :)

Kevin