Word Document - Bibliography style - Can't go back to "Vancouver"

edited May 26, 2017
I am using Word 2016. I have recently installed Zotero and using the Zotero plugin in word to add my references. I have 40+ citations which I had inserted under the "Document Preference" of Vancouver.

I decided I wanted to test other styles. I tried the "Nature" style which converted all my in text citations to roman numerals. I tried to go back to Vancouver style which kept the roman numerals and created a new bibliography based on those numerals.

I looked at other forum posts and found that I could convert the roman numerals to "normal" in Word endnote/footnote formatting. So I did convert all my citations to "normal" numbers however it messed up all my citations!

I don't understand why I was not able to just go back to the preference style I originally had. Is there any way to correct this without having to start over?!?!
  • It seems quite odd (and very unlikely) that this happened converting to Nature. I'm guessing it was Chicago Manual instead (Nature style really can't produce roman numerals).

When you say "it messed up all my citations" -- what exactly does that mean? What happened specifically?
  • Thank you for your reply but I have resolved the issue.

It was the "Nature" setting.

And it is a bit difficult to describe but when I used WORD to format the roman numerals back to numbers in the endnote/footnote settings it basically made my references consecutive numbers throughout the document. So instead of having the same number for reference that I used multiple times in the document, it would provide me with a different number.

It seems as though Kotero is a bit glitchy in the Word plugin. I basically continued to go back and fourth, switching from Nature to Vancouver. Refreshing the page. And eventually it when back to Vancouver.
  • I don't know how you switched citation styles but what you're describing is definitely not something that Nature style would or could produce, but it'd be exactly what you'd see with a footnote style like Chicago Manual (since that's using footnotes, you'd indeed see a different number every time by design).

Any way, glad it's working.