[Zotero Extension 4] No data import from library collections in Firefox for Linux

Dear developers,

The ticket number is: 181806662

I cannot retrieve any data from books collections like Google Books, WorldCat or Amazon. Usually the icon in the menu would change to a blue book and I could import the information into Zotero. Now the icon looks always like the webpage one and no item is created.

My OS is Debian Stretch (v. 9) and I am actually using the Firefox binary version downloaded from the Mozilla’s site (v. 53) located in my Home directory. I have the same result if I try the browser installed from the repository (v. 52).

Thank you in advance
  • I checked all the solutions on this page:

1-4) The icon appears, but it is not reactive. I reinstalled Zotero, but I have seen no change. The Firefox version is the latest available and I tried also Firefox ESR from the repository.
    5) I have tried to delete manually the translators folder and to reset it from the panel. Now I can save a webpage from Amazon’s website, but not a book item.
    6) The translators are updated.
    7-8) The problem appears also on Amazon.com, but I have no error message.
    9) The system clock is automatically updated.
    10) Cookies are activated for third parts too and I have no incompatible extension. I disabled all the extensions except Zotero, but nothing has changed.

Examples of pages:

a)https://www.amazon.com/Ego-Enemy-Ryan-Holiday/dp/1591847818/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1495781059&sr=1-1&keywords=ego
    b)https://books.google.com/books?id=KZkItLs3vLwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=io&hl=it&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thank you for you help
  • Can you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for loading that Amazon page?

(We can try to debug this, but since the full Firefox version is being discontinued anyway with the upcoming Zotero 5.0, you could also just switch to Zotero Standalone and try the new Zotero Connector for Firefox, available from the download page.)
  • Debug ID: D105841312

That is curious, no debug has happened when I tried to save the item to Zotero, but If I try to see the debug log, it gives me the error you can see in there. Actually I cannot display the log, but I can send it to your servers.

Are there any critical bugs in Zotero 5, which could give me serious problem (like data loss)? If not, I can switch directly to your beta. I do not see any on your bug tracking page.
  • That doesn't appear to cover loading a webpage.
  • No, there are no known major bugs in 5.0. Obviously you'd want to make sure you had a backup of your Zotero data directory before upgrading, though the upgrade also makes an automatic backup.
  • My mistake, I am sorry. The Debug ID is now D372659892.
  • No suitable translators found
    Is your 'translators' directory actually populated? Can you try resetting again from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences?
  • edited May 26, 2017
    I have just resetted again. The Debug ID is D344946094.
  • Some weird things in there, but it's not worth debugging this — you should just switch to Standalone and the connector. To be clear, you don't actually have to run the 5.0 Beta. You can just install Zotero Standalone 4.0 and the new connector from the download page.
  • Ok, I think about switching to 5.0, I would be glad to help you with the beta testing. Thank you for you support.